Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Used Sinex at 32 weeks

(14 Posts)
SandysMam Sun 12-Feb-17 16:39:08

I am really panicking - I am 32 weeks and for the past few nights have used a squirt of Sinex at bedtime for a horrendous blocked nose. I thought it was ok to use "Vicks" in pregnancy but got my "Vicks" mixed up and realise that ok means the rub not Sinex. Can anyone reassure me? My anxiety is through the roof anyway as a blocked nose gives me panic attacks! Thank you!

HN42 Sun 12-Feb-17 17:00:23

I'm sorry I can't offer much reassurance as not a medic but once a day would be a very small dose so shouldn't be too harmful - may be worth checking with your GP or midwife whether safe to use in small amounts just for reassurance? Have you tried a saline nasal spray? They are quite pricey but they do work - I bought one just before I got pregnant as I caught a cold and it helped to quickly reduce the swelling in my nose and sinuses as salt is a good natural anti-inflammatory.

Wolfiefan Sun 12-Feb-17 17:02:31

Don't panic! Can you speak to a pharmacist? I really doubt there would be an issue but could be worth a conversation and might alleviate your anxiety.

Metalhead Sun 12-Feb-17 18:13:30

I used nasal sprays on a couple of occasions in both my pregnancies when I was completely bunged up as I cannot sleep unless breathing through my nose. I did some research and also spoke to my SIL who's an obstetrician (albeit not in the UK). As the spray is absorbed through the lining of the nose very little enters the bloodstream, so one squirt on the odd occasion is very unlikely to cause any harm. Like so many drugs, it's just not licensed for pregnancy as no one wants to test these things on pregnant women.

SandysMam Sun 12-Feb-17 18:36:46

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your replies. I know in reality people do a lot worse but I just feel like I'm going out of my mind with worry about it. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow for various bits so will mention it then. Thank you x

helenfagain Sun 12-Feb-17 18:38:03

If you are really worried call 111, they will give you advice.

raviolidreaming Sun 12-Feb-17 19:34:49

www.madeformums.com/pregnancy/is-vicks-safe-to-use-when-pregnant/30931.html

This says to use with caution, and I would think that one squirt a night was definitely a cautious approach.

SandysMam Sun 12-Feb-17 19:36:17

I think 111 and pharmacists will just give me the official advice of don't use it etc because they can't say otherwise really. Guess that's why I came to mumsnet, so people can say they made the same mistakes and everything was ok!

Jenbob13 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:42:08

Hey!
Don't panic, its a localised nasal spray. We say don't use it in pregnancy because when they did the clinical trials it wasn't tested on pregnant or breastfeeding women so the manufacturers cannot put on the packaging that it is safe to use. Its xylometazoline in a very small quantity going up your nostrils. I wouldn't recommend using it every night but I wouldn't flap.

Jenbob13 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:46:04

They say the same about haemorrhoid cream and suppositories - use with caution but I am still sat here at 38 weeks with half a tube of Germaloids up my ass.

SandysMam Sun 12-Feb-17 19:49:17

grin thank you guys, exactly the sort of thing I need to hear.
Good luck with the piles Jenbob (oh and the baby!)

BendingSpoons Sun 12-Feb-17 19:49:41

Like a lot of things in pregnancy, it is a risk/benefit decision. The risk is very small (it hasn't been proved safe, but no evidence it is unsafe) and the benefit fairly high at that point (being able to breathe).

RedBugMug Sun 12-Feb-17 19:54:01

don't worry too much.
nose spray works pretty localised. it does have an effect on all blood vessels, but much much less than taking a decongestant tablet.
in other countries it is said to be ok and I also took it (one spray into one nostril) before bedtime so that I could actually sleep.

BendingSpoons Sun 12-Feb-17 19:59:50

Should have said I used a similar nasal spray when desperate to breath and get some sleep. I limited it by just using before bed when I really needed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now