Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can i ask for a second opinion?

(6 Posts)
gemgems2214 Sun 12-Feb-17 13:52:48

Hey all.
Had my 12 week scan last week and downs screening which came back as 1:82 chance so high risk. Refused amnio as the miscarriage rate doesn't sit well with me. Anyway, my scan looks perfect baby's neck is 2.4mm and has a nose bone etc. Just my bloods are off. Im wondering if i go and see my doctor can he send me to a different hospital to have it done again as i dont see why i am high risk as baby is so perfectly formed etc. Any advice?

DirtyDancing Sun 12-Feb-17 14:17:53

Can you afford to get the Harmony Test privately? It's non intrusive, and I believe therefore no risk/ low risk to baby

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Sun 12-Feb-17 14:27:53

I'm sorry you're going through this anxious time.

The risk is not just calculated on the scan, they use your blood test results as well. It's a standard calculation used by all medical professionals. So a second scan won't prove or disprove anything. Is paying privately for the harmony blood test an option?

gemgems2214 Sun 12-Feb-17 15:20:43

Thank you so much for your replies. After a chat and slight argument with boyfriend he has booked the harmony test for a week today costing £400. Hopefully puts my mind at rest smile x

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Sun 12-Feb-17 16:07:57

That's probably the best way forward if you're worried about the amnio.

Try to be optimistic though, although I know its worrying. My maths isn't great but the odds are still greatly in your favour that everything will be fine.

The ladies on the antenatal tests board are very helpful and supportive if you have any questions.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sun 12-Feb-17 16:32:22

That's the right thing to do, Op, fingers crossed for you.

Imagine if you had a bag of 81 white snooker balls and one black one. Now close your eyes, put in your hand and draw out the black one - helps you realise that it's still far more likely than not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now