Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Missed miscarriage

(7 Posts)
SpunBodgeSquarepants Sun 12-Feb-17 00:19:51

I'm so so sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, I don't want to scare anyone with what I'm going through, as I'm sure it is not common.

Wednesday before last, at what I though was 9 weeks and 4 days pregnant, I began to bleed. Not heavily, but it has clots in so I took myself to A&E to get checked out. They didn't do much but referred me for a scan.

The next day I had a gush of blood, probably five tbsps worth, but other than that the bleeding did not worsen.

On the Monday, at 10+2, I got my scan. The foetus was measuring at 6 weeks, no visible heartbeat. I'm booked in for another scan on Wednesday to check that it's growing, and to check viability.

However, I know it's not viable. There's only one date I could have conceived, I did not have sex after this date at all.

So, the foetus died now exactly 5 weeks ago. Bleeding has all but stopped, it's now just brown discharge and no pain whatsoever. When the bleeding started I was moderately cramping.

Is it possible that my body won't expel the foetus by itself at all?? I really would like it to happen naturally, and as soon as possible. I do not want to have to have a d&c, ideally I do not want to go back to the hospital at all sad

LeSquigh Sun 12-Feb-17 00:31:23

I had a missed miscarriage last year. My dates and stages and stuff were very similar to yours. My body didn't expel it initially and I had two medical managements, neither of which worked properly. They wouldn't then do the ERPC because of the risk of damage and difficulty locating what was left. It stopped growing at about 5 weeks and treatment started at what should have been about 9 weeks. My body eventually expelled what was left but this took a further 5-6 weeks. If I were you I would have the ERPC/D&C straight off. I certainly would if it happened again.

I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck if you decide to try again. As a positive story I became pregnant again without even having a period and am now 22 weeks. You will get there flowers

SpunBodgeSquarepants Sun 12-Feb-17 00:39:12

Congratulations LeSquigh, that's lovely. I'm torn now as to whether I'd like to try again, I'd hate to go through this again.

So in theory if I chose to wait it out, it could be another 5-6 weeks?!

LeSquigh Sun 12-Feb-17 06:18:22

Yes, if you choose to wait it out and let. Write take its course it could be another 6 weeks. That's not to say it will of course but it could.

ElizabethS22 Sun 12-Feb-17 08:14:11

Sorry to hear you're going through this.

I had a missed miscarriage, found out at a scan and baby had stopped growing 4 weeks before I had no symptoms whatsoever so had no idea anything was wrong.
Was given the pessary and bled a lot but after 8 weeks was still getting positive pregnancy tests so had to have d&c. No problems after that, slight discomfort but glad I had the surgery so it was finally over.

Shamoffour Sun 12-Feb-17 08:21:18

I'm so sorry your going through thisflowers
I've had 3 mcs and it is truly awful. I found the miscarriage board really helpful (it's in body and soul) I got loads of support and practical advice too what to expect etc..
I felt so alone and it made me realise how many people have gone through what I was.

Andcake Sun 12-Feb-17 08:32:13

I had similar bleeding at 10 weeks stop developing at 7 -8 weeks....

Bled a little scan showed mmc - I couldn't get an appointment immediately and in the wait things happened naturally at hone. As a bit got caught I was in ALOT of pain...dp was too scared to drive with me in such a state in the back he called an ambulance 😳

So it can and actually despite the pain I think I preferred it that way as it was proof something had gone wrong.
I think a long walk the day before things naturally happened may have helped. After the bad scan do and I didn't know what to do with ourselves and went for a wander with me feeling fragile as it saved us sitting staring at each other feeling awful.
Look after yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now