Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Calcium

(5 Posts)
SuziePink Sat 11-Feb-17 20:14:40

Hello all,

I had my first appointment with my midwife this week and she was saying I need to eat 2-3 portions of dairy every day to get enough calcium. The only problem is I'm practically vegan and although I'm happy to eat dairy sometimes the main problem is I really don't like the taste! I can just about get something with cheese down every few days but milk and yoghurt are out, I feel even less like eating them now I'm pregnant than I used to. I sometimes have plant based milk which is fortified with calcium but now I've gone off cereal and porridge. I'd really like to take some calcium supplements, most are tablets of around 500mg, in addition to my pregnancy vitamins but I want to make sure I don't have too much. Does anyone know a safe upper limit? I'm having trouble finding anything explicit on t'internet.

Thanks in advance x

yeOldeTrout Sat 11-Feb-17 20:33:08

Hard to overdose on it.

Don't you like leafy greens? How about seaweeds?

Foggymist Sat 11-Feb-17 20:41:27

Dark green leafy veg have calcium.

SuziePink Sat 11-Feb-17 20:45:44

I can eat some leafy greens but I'm not sure I can eat enough to get the proper dose of calcium! Spinach is probably the things I eat most, usually in salads. I would say curry but I've currently gone off that too.

MumBeth Sun 12-Feb-17 09:23:32

I reckon you'll be fine on calcium supplements, if you're worried about ODing on calcium, as I am milk obsessed (my craving) and must drink about 2 pints a day (not including my teas). Asking your pharmacist or dropping your MW might be a good way to check though if you are worried x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now