Talk

Advanced search

Headaches in pregnancy

(10 Posts)
JJ1612 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:38:47

I keep getting quite bad headaches that don't seem to go away with paracetamol and only seem to be on the right side. I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant.

I recently had my 28 week check up with the midwife and my blood pressure was fine but I have an appointment for a weeks time just to recheck it.

Has anyone else had any issues with headaches in later pregnancy?

Spam88 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:55:09

The fact they're only on one side would suggest migraines. I'd go see your GP if I was you, they can prescribe you something stronger than paracetamol that's safe to use.

sherbertlemon17 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:15:07

I did in my last pregnancy. The migraine Kool n Soothe head strips were a god send!

vfoster Sat 11-Feb-17 20:04:24

I've had the same but A bit earlier in pregnancy. I ended up calling the midwife and they had me come into the day unit at the hospital.
My blood pressure was fine and after a few hours and some more tests they sent me home with some stronger codine. They suspected migraines but also told me to drink more water just in case.
I was drinking 2 litres a day but I upped it and did few better!
The doctor at the hospital told me to go to the GP if it keeps happening.
Hope you feel better soon

coursedarlin Sun 12-Feb-17 18:10:18

I'm suffering really badly with headaches at 18 weeks. My midwife is checking again for anaemia as this is apparently a common symptom. I used to take 30mg co-codamol for headaches so am really struggling with just paracetamol. Hope u get to the bottom of it and feel better soon

nursekayko Sun 12-Feb-17 18:18:22

I could have wrote this post! I'm 25 weeks and starting to get back migraines. Last weekend it left me with horrendous shoulder and neck pain. I spoke to my OBGYN and she says it's totally normal; paracetamol and codiene are the best things I can take for it.

Weirdly I always swear by watermelon. I think it helped once and now I'm always reaching for it when a headache strikes. Asda do a huge bottle of watermelon juice which is great.

Keep an eye on your BP. I'm always low but when I get a headache I just take it throughout the day to make sure.

WantingBaby1 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:32:25

I'm exactly the same and have been for 3 weeks, since I was 12 weeks. I've had one a week. Going to the gp if I get another next week. Totally miserable and paracetamol doesn't seem to do anything.

butterfly990 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:33:14

I would second Kool n Soothe. They are non medicinal and are amazing!

missm0use Mon 13-Feb-17 01:50:39

I had this with my first pregnancy as well, along with almost constant feeling of a blocked nose. Warm showers in the evening and steam ect helped ease both for me along with a big dose of paracetamol.

AllDayIThinkAboutFood Mon 13-Feb-17 02:04:26

I'm 16w and also struggling with headaches. This current one has been constant for 6 days now. Nothing makes them go away. I had them quite often in my first pregnancy too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now