Talk

Advanced search

Flying while pregnant

(18 Posts)
kizzle Fri 10-Feb-17 16:38:39

Hi ladies.
I have a holiday booked in may for 3 nights in Fuerteventura and I'll be 29 weeks pregnant.
While the flying part doesn't worry me, the midwife and doctor have already said they will give me a 'fit to fly' permit & im a low risk pregnancy anyway.

My question is - has anyone been on holiday while pregnant? And how did you find it?
Thanks.

Sparklyuggs Fri 10-Feb-17 16:48:11

I'm planning to fly until 34 weeks (short haul). The advice seems to be to wear compression socks, drink lots of water, and buy an extra legroom or upgrade if you can if you can afford it to get more space.

kizzle Fri 10-Feb-17 16:52:08

Sparkly thanks for that.
I've had so many people telling me it's too late to fly. Or it'll be too hot. Not to go in the sea. Make sure you keep bump covered from the sun.
I'm only going for 3 sodding nights, not 3 weeks 😂.

I'll mention it to my midwife at my 16w antenatal this week.

Thanks

Mustbeinsane1984 Fri 10-Feb-17 16:52:38

You will love it! Grab a sun lounger semi shade and relax. Remember and don't over heat and drink plenty of fluids. Lots of sumcream too! Don't plan too much sight seeing as you will prob be tired. For the flight drink loads of water to and if you feel uncomfortable just walk up and down behind the ladies with the trolley. Very jealous, still trying to convince husband to get a holiday booked soon but so busy at work for him. Maybe I'll go away myself smile Enjoy Kizzle!

BobbieDog Fri 10-Feb-17 16:54:49

I went abroad for 10 days when about 26 weeks pregnant and it was hell!!!

It was far too hot for me (july) and the plane made my ankles swell so much that i couldnt get any shoes on and they never went back down again until 6 weeks after the birth.

My ankles were fine before i got on that plane

NarkyMcDinkyChops Fri 10-Feb-17 16:55:08

Many times, up to 36 weeks. It's fine.

kizzle Fri 10-Feb-17 16:58:04

Mustbeinsane thank you!
I always thought I'd be fine but as I said up there 👆🏼 I've had people telling me what to do and not to do and when to do it. Honestly just shush 😂
It's only for 3 nights so it's a long weekend really, but will be nice to get away. Plus we've been there twice before & it's where my DP proposed 2 years ago.
The best thing about it all is.. it's free! I won the holiday on a Facebook competition! Just had to organise the flights myself!

Hope you manage to get away! X

Mustbeinsane1984 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:10:23

Your welcome! So many rules in pregnancy haha! Take some good books and enjoy 'you' time. People are good at telling you when they think your doing it wrong! I do second sparkly above about the stockings though. I have to wear them and I'm not even flying hmm so I would imagine it's a good idea! Remember E111 and insurance (sensible head grin on)

Congratulations! I never win anything sad .....enjoy kizzle!

MsStricty Fri 10-Feb-17 17:15:01

I flew a ten-hour return flight at 36 weeks - I just made the cut-off with Lufthansa. All absolutely fine. Flight socks and lots of water, foot exercises, and walking around smile

ExpatTrailingSpouse Fri 10-Feb-17 17:24:24

i went to the caribbean around that time... main advice is, definitely wear compression socks. my legs and feet swelled up so badly on the way there it hurt to walk and i could hardly get my (loose) flip flops on. and they stayed swollen for the first two days - i'd put my legs up for a few hours but as soon as i got up and started walking they puffed up like balloons. ended up having to buy really expensive compression socks on the island for the return trip. otherwise, it's totally fine if you're otherwise healthy.

fezzik1 Fri 10-Feb-17 18:10:29

I have a return long haul flight coming up (I'll be 20 weeks), what's the advice on the security scanners at the airports these days? I'm guessing they are absolutely fine, right?

AreWeThereYet000 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:05:54

I went to lanzarote at 7 months pregnant in July with my last child and I've been to Greece last august at 4 months pregnant - I just wore a tankini so I could keep bump covered in midday sun but could roll it up around cooler times to get a bit of colour, I made sure I drank plenty of fluids and if I could feel myself getting too warm I had half an hour in the shade. You'll be fine as long as you are sensible smile x

ExpatTrailingSpouse Fri 10-Feb-17 23:03:45

fezzik - i always opted out of the scanner, as it was never that much hassle. you just have to add in a little extra time for the patdown. Here in the US, they try to argue with you about it as it's more work for them, but i always just said i'd rather have the patdown even if i had to wait.

namechange20050 Fri 10-Feb-17 23:12:26

I went to Mexico when I was about 24 weeks. It was brilliant and I'm so pleased I did it. I knew that was the last holiday of sunloungers, books, relaxation and I really made the most of it. Plus the vitamin D is good for the baby! Have a fab time OP.

catx1606 Fri 10-Feb-17 23:29:55

You'll be fine, just remember to wear flight socks, drink plenty of water on the plane and get up and walk about on the plane as much as possible as well as circling your feet etc when you're sitting down. I flew at 31 weeks and made the most of the break (slept most of the time)

Sparklyuggs Sat 11-Feb-17 08:03:42

Yeah people look horrified at me when I say it, but I have my university finals at 33 weeks pg and I've worked dam hard and want to take them, which involves a 1 HR flight. Obviously if the midwife says I can't I'll reconsider but otherwise it's fine. Probably helps that I live on a small island near the UK so all pg ladies need to fly frequently here, some even have to fly to the main island to give birth! You lucky thing to win a holiday!

eurochick Sat 11-Feb-17 08:23:24

I flew several times, both long and short haul. My last trip was to the south of France for a few days, at 28 weeks. It was absolutely fine. The only problem I had was on an earlier long haul trip when the arsehole in front of me fully reclined (despite having a free seat next to him with no one behind) meaning I couldn't put my tray down or get out of my seat without assistance.

I always chose an aisle seat while pregnant so I could get up easily for the loo and to have a walk around and get plenty of drinks.

ememem84 Sat 11-Feb-17 08:42:46

I'm not flying in March. I'll be 12 weeks then. ITs a long haul trip (26 hours in transit in total) and I'm a nervous flyer anyway.

I've been suffering with nausea and tiredness so we made the decision that it wasn't the best idea for me.

But if your happy to do it I don't see why not. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now