Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm in the bloody tea room again!

(37 Posts)
Gaaaah Fri 10-Feb-17 15:42:48

Sorry I'm going to whinge. I came into the maternity hospital a few weeks ago with abdominal pain and reduced movements. They took bloods. Then they left me in the tea room on the postnatal ward for 6 hours. I understand that even urgent bloods take time to come back but in that time nobody spoke to me, checked on me, nothing.

I've come into triage again today with headaches, visual disturbances, protein in my wee but because I don't have high blood pressure they're happy it's not pre eclampsia. I feel awful. My head is booming. They've admitted me. Where have they put me? In the flipping tea room again. Just shoot me now!

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 10-Feb-17 15:49:23

Just wanted to say, please make sure they check you thoroughly for pre-eclampsia. I had it with my previous pregnancy, Blood pressure in normal range but symptoms as you describe. They told me for 2 weeks it wasn't pre-eclampsia, until they did proper blood tests. I ended up having an eclamptic seizure post delivery.
I don't understand why you are in the tea room though! Is anyone with you?

Imnotaslimjim Fri 10-Feb-17 15:52:30

I'd be asking for some pain relief for a start off. Make sure you're not ignored for 6+ hours this time. Sadly, out of sight can mean out of mind and they might have forgotten you were in there.

I'd give them maybe an hour then go and ask what the bed situation is as you have a headache and you'd like a lie down!

Juveniledelinquent Fri 10-Feb-17 15:54:25

Find someone and make sure they don't just leave you flowers

Gaaaah Fri 10-Feb-17 15:55:26

Thank you, I will try if I can get someone to listen to me.

No, nobody is with me, dh had to go off to go and see to the children. He left at half 1 ish.

They have no room for me, so I have to sit in here all night they said.

Afreshstartplease Fri 10-Feb-17 15:59:22

That is ridiculous

Is there another hospital nearby?

Gaaaah Fri 10-Feb-17 16:01:00

15 miles away

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 10-Feb-17 16:01:45

That's disgusting if they make you sit in there all night! Definitely make sure you aren't ignored. I really hope it's not pre-eclampsia. How many weeks are you?

FallenSky Fri 10-Feb-17 16:02:20

All night? That is ridiculous. Are they monitoring you?

Gaaaah Fri 10-Feb-17 16:03:56

37 weeks today.

I just want to go home and rest. I don't feel rested here!

I have gestational diabetes too and can't have a cup of tea for another half an hour. They said "It's not tea time yet".

Gaaaah Fri 10-Feb-17 16:05:09

I've been monitored in triage already. They were happy with the trace. The doctors said it's not a baby problem, he's happy. Me on the other hand, I just feel rotten.

KatnissMellark Fri 10-Feb-17 16:13:58

Echoing the poster who said to really push for them to thoroughly check for pre eclampsia. With HELLP syndrome your BP would not necessarily be raised.

Gaaaah Fri 10-Feb-17 17:05:02

They're now serving dinner in the room i'm sitting in which I can't have because it wasn't pre ordered <wails>

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 10-Feb-17 17:42:14

Do they not have any extra? Can someone bring you some food?

PonderLand Fri 10-Feb-17 17:48:55

That is not right. They can get you a meal, they need to order it, either ring the kitchen or ring hospitality supervisors who will get food for you. It may have to be a sandwich. You're diabetic ffs.
I do food service on wards and there is always a way to get a meal to a patient. They may have to go on another ward but there will food available.

PonderLand Fri 10-Feb-17 17:49:30

I didn't mean for you to ring supervisors btw. The catering staff should be sorting this out.

Gaaaah Fri 10-Feb-17 17:57:34

I moaned. They have gave me a sandwich and a cup of tea which is something. My blood tests are still not back so the consultant doesn't want me to go.

Dh can't come yet, he's with the children waiting for babysitting to arrive.

MumBeth Fri 10-Feb-17 17:59:44

I really sympathise with you on this. Similar situation happened with me where I was left all night on a chair in a hallway without any dinner. Even asked for some toast at least and they said they didn't have anyone who can do that... I mean it's only fricking toast!? I ended up sleeping in that chair for the night with no food and no pain relief because they lost the keys to tell medicine cabinet! How does this happen and how could they not get paracetamol from another ward I do not know....

Really don't know what to suggest to help you with this situation. It's awful how the NHS haven't even any resourcing. Complete lack of funding since the banking crisis caused the financial crisis in 2008 unfortunately 😕

Maybe you could drag a chair and sit outside the front desk to remind them of your presence and just keep asking for food (hopefully they might get you some if you keep pestering them?) and paracetamol for the pain ?

MumBeth Fri 10-Feb-17 18:00:13

Their* not tell

Gaaaah Fri 10-Feb-17 18:11:29

Drag a chair grin what a good idea, it'll make a terrible noise. Then I can sit and stare at them like a hangry dog!

drinkyourmilk Fri 10-Feb-17 18:14:53

That's pretty disgraceful. If they can't admit you ro the maternity ward then there must be a bed elsewhere. And a sandwich wouldn't work for me (also gd). Bread pushes my bg right up. I'd be better off going to the restaurant and getting some actual food.

MotherofPearl Fri 10-Feb-17 18:20:50

This is awful OP, and really illustrates all the news stories about the NHS being at breaking point, and hospitals filled beyond capacity. The impact on patients is horrendous, although I imagine it's tough for the staff too. Anyway, I do feel for you, you must be exhausted and fed up (well, not literally, unfortunately!).

Gaaaah Fri 10-Feb-17 18:40:27

Yes drink a sandwich is normally more than my sugars can take but fortunately my readings came back normal this time. I'm not allowed to leave the ward for anything otherwise I would have gone. I've been admitted (have a wrist band on) but still nowhere to go.

I'm not going to lie, I'm shattered. Ordinarily I'm pretty 'get the heck on with it' mentality but I just cried at the Midwife. How embarrassing!

MotherofPearl Fri 10-Feb-17 18:47:53

If they're insisting you stay they simply have to find somewhere for you to lie down. Maybe your DH can intervene when he arrives?

Afreshstartplease Fri 10-Feb-17 18:52:13

Go lie somewhere inconvenient, bet they find you a bed then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now