Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placental abruption?

(5 Posts)
harleysmammy Fri 10-Feb-17 12:39:44

I made a post last night about hitting myself accidentally in the belly when a foam pole sprung into my belly at a force. He was moving around last night but this morning was quite quiet but has been moving. I had a sharp pain on and off in the lower right of my belly but nothing too bad and still getting niggling pains but they could just be normal and im just overthinking it because of what happened. I did the silly thing of googling it and found placental abruption happens sometimes when you have a blow to the belly, i know it was one a foam pole but it was quite a force and it did actually hurt. I want to phone the midwife but i havent got her number, only the emergency advice midwives and they wont answer. I have no way to get to the doctors or hospital (partners away in the navy and my dad is working until 6), i know him moving is a good sign i just panic that he isnt moving the same as other days. Could it really have done that much damage?

confusedat23 Fri 10-Feb-17 12:55:16

Hey OP can you not call 111? They will be able to advise you the nearest placd to go.

Also what about getting a cab/taxi? Would that be an option?

JessieMillz25 Fri 10-Feb-17 12:55:59

Can you call the delivery suite? I live in a very small town so if the community midwife isn't on duty we then call the delivery suite and then they can offer you advice? Could you get a taxi if you needed to go in?

drinkyourmilk Fri 10-Feb-17 12:58:08

I'm not medical, so can't answer that question. Personally I think that with continuing movement, lack of bleeding, and lack of ongoing pain i would be satisfied that no damage had been done.
However its apparent that this really has you worried - so I think you should keep trying the triage line, or call your gp and ask for a phone consultation. You won't relax until you have been seen or spoken to someone. You are not wasting their time, and they would far rather you call and speak to then, than worry at home.

mumxof3x Fri 10-Feb-17 13:00:48

Placental abruption is very painful. I suffered with this whilst having my daughter last year. The uterus contracts to try to stop the bleeding and they are intense. I was also hemorrhaging and losing absolutely humongous clots. But my DM who also suffered abruption didn't bleed, but her stomach did balloon in size as it was collecting in her uterus, again she was also in severe pain. Obviously there are different levels of abruption ranging from mild to severe, so they symptoms would be different for a mild one.

It would take an extremely hard blow to cause this. But always always get checked out. Im just trying to reassure you that this scenario is very unlikely....infact many PA sufferers have none of the risks whatsoever, often the cause is unknown.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now