Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Down syndrome test came back as 1 in 82 chance

(12 Posts)
gemgems2214 Fri 10-Feb-17 09:09:37

Hey not sure if im in the right place and im just looking for advice or someone with similar experience.

Im a 25 year old female and this is my first pregnancy. I had the downs screening last week and the sonographer said baby looked 'perfect' on the screen. However i had a call from a lady in fetal medicine yesterday asking me to go today at 1.30pm for a chat as my risk is quite high.
I have spent last night crying and this morning i am in bits over what to do. Im not sure i want the further testing as it can result in a miscarriage. Anyone have any advice?

BillyButtfuck Fri 10-Feb-17 09:13:59

No great advice other than a hand hold and reminder that with those odds you could have 81 perfectly healthy babies, and the majority chance is that this baby will be too.

Lunalovepud Fri 10-Feb-17 09:14:33

You can have the harmony test which is a very accurate blood test and has no risk of miscarriage as the blood taken is yours. Some hospitals offer this test to high risk women but otherwise you can get it privately for around £500.

Just having a high risk does mean that there is anything wrong for certain - it just means that there is a higher than usual chance and they need to do more than investigation.

When you go to the hospital they will be able to explain all of your options and answer your questions. If there is something wrong you don't have to decide anything there and then either.

Good luck with everything. flowers

Ilovecaindingle Fri 10-Feb-17 09:16:45

Sorry your are so stressed. . My dd the risk was 1:30. Consultant suggested a second opinion. I had another nuchal scan and all was fine. . Good luck.

JontyDoggle37 Fri 10-Feb-17 09:18:51

Definitely do the blood test if you can afford it. Also, remember a 1 in 82 chance means 81 babies aren't Positive, so while it's worrying it's only a statistic. Finally, you need to understand within yourself/with your partner what would change if there was a positive diagnosis - if you would continue or not. I would want to be very sure though, I.e. With the blood test, before I took any specific action. Best of luck. Remember they have to tell you all the possibles, it doesn't make them definite!!!

RMC123 Fri 10-Feb-17 09:20:35

With my son I had a risk level of 1:250 and the risk of miscarriage from the amino was exactly the same. I did have the amino and everything was ok. No real words other than I completely understand how hard this is. The odds are higher but still in your favour but I know how hard that is to believe. Sending big hugs

HN42 Fri 10-Feb-17 11:59:13

I know exactly how you are feeling. I was given odds of 1 in 85 last week for one of my twins after being told everything appeared normal on the scan (which was then used as the basis to increase my risk). It's left me feeling very anxious and confused and I am really struggling not to look at my odds from a negative perspective so its completely normal to feel so upset, I was in exactly the same state as you last week.

Because of the risk of miscarriage being double for twins with any invasive testing we felt like the only thing to was to have a private blood test. We were told it is 99.9% accurate - we were told there are some false positives where this test can give you a positive diagnosis because the placenta has downs syndrome but the baby does not but we were told this is extremely rare. Obviously you have to consider cost - it cost us £375 but if it means that we don't have to have invasive testing in the end its money well spent. They also have to tell you that because of small risk of false positives that it therefore isn't diagnostic but if it comes back low risk then its very very unlikely that your baby does have downs. We are just waiting for these results now and desperately hoping it comes back low risk as I hate to think what decisions I will have to make otherwise.

yousignup Fri 10-Feb-17 12:04:53

I was 38 when DD was born and we were given a 1 in 14 diagnosis then a 1 in 8. She's nearly 10 now and absolutely fine. I do know how worried you must be, and I'm sorry.

gemgems2214 Sun 12-Feb-17 15:23:39

Thank you so much for your replies and i do hope everything is okay with the twinnie pregnancy. I have booked the harmony test for a week today so fingers crossed. Xxx

HN42 Sun 12-Feb-17 16:50:04

Thanks gemgems2214. I have everything crossed for good news. Good luck for your blood test, I hope it comes back all clear. I'm glad you've been able to come to a decision how to get some sort of peace of mind from this situation.

I saw your other post about seeing nasal bone on your scan pics - we are no experts but we also found on our images we could see nasal bones but nasal bones being absent in down's syndrome babies being a common thing is something I only discovered through a bit too much googling. Hopefully what we can see can offer us both some hope.

Keep the hope over the next couple of weeks while you wait for your results. xx

MinnieNoush Sun 12-Feb-17 21:29:18

The harmony test is so much more accurate.
Good luck
x

harleysmammy Mon 13-Feb-17 00:49:46

Everytime i see posts like this, i dont know what to say because my downs results came back normal with my son BUT when my parents were pregnant with me, because they were "older", they had the test and i was a 1 in 5 chance i'd be born with downs, they then had the amnio (they had 13 losses before having me so were really hesitant having it but wanted to prepare for if i was certain to have downs) and that result came back that i would be born with downs. My parents asked them if there was any way it could be wrong but the midwife said there was less than 1% chance of the test being wrong. For the rest of the pregnancy, they were consultant led and then at 37 weeks i was born, without downs and i was and am perfectly fine. They get it wrong sometimes x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now