Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice needed - Am I Pregnant?

(19 Posts)
user1486681058 Thu 09-Feb-17 23:32:29

I am sorry for the question, it may seem a little silly to mums here because they are already expecting. But I'd really appreciate insight from a couple of you ladies.

In December, after missing my October period, I began to suspect pregnancy. I was tired all of the time, being sick, my boobs were sore and I was extremely irritable. I believe I had some implantation bleeding - some strange pink jelly like discharge ( sorry tmi )that was followed by no period. I felt really silly when I got my period in January. Now, my periods are usually very painful and heavy, but this one was something else. It was excruciating, I really thought I was dying at one point and had to leave work and come home. It was beyond heavy, filling up pad after pad, and my periods always last exactly 5 days, but this one lasted 2 or 3, followed by very light and painless bleeding which didnt last very long at all. I didn't suspect miscarriage until I researched it a little bit a few days ago, and I had no idea how common it was, and that it can happen before you even know you are pregnant and look like a heavy period.

Now, I know this isn't something you'd be told in a hospital, but I know a few ladies, and found many many more online, who swear by increased fertility after a mc. Women who, after trying to concieve for months or even years, had a miscarriage, and become pregnant immiedatly after. I had unprotected sex in January.

Now, I don't want to be pregnant, infact I'm trying pretty hard to convince myself that I am over analysing my body, which is something i've done in the past. But for the last few weeks I have been eating huge amounts, sleeping all the time and feeling sick. i have had a lot of abdominal pain, nothing like period cramps, mostly on the right lower side. I have a bad sleeping cycle, I always have had, staying up until 3am most nights, but I used to get up at 7 without an issue. Now I can't. I just can't. I sleep for hours, waking up in the afternoon, still bloody tired. I love orange juice. I tried to drink a glass today, and I didn't enjoy it at all, I needed something fizzy. I want tango, but the shop is closed, and I had to settle for squash and lemonade. I woke up this morning and the first thing I noticed was the smell of the fanta fruit twist (closed bottle) on my bedside table. I assume it was this as the smell was fruity, but dont see how I couldve smelt it. The other night at work, the woman I work with asked if I was okay, as I'd suddenly gone very very pale. She was reluctant to drop it, but I told her I felt fine. I keep feeling very dizzy, sick and tired. My lower back and muscles ache. I keep getting twinges in my belly and a strange tight feeling, and I am quite thin, so the bloating I have is easily noticable. I'm seeing a doctor tommorow, I just wondered if anyone had any advice for me, and if they think I could be pregnant or am over analysing my body.

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Feb-17 23:36:18

Nobody can tell you whether you're pregnant or not. You need to take a test. When is your period due?

I'm a bit confused-you say you had unprotected sex but you don't want to be pregnant. Were you trying or not?

user1486681058 Thu 09-Feb-17 23:44:16

Yes, with my long term partner, a mistake which wasn't made with the intention of getting pregnant. If I was, I'd probably be happy after coming to terms, sorry if this is a silly question, I'm just very confused. Going to doctors tommorow

user1486681058 Thu 09-Feb-17 23:45:37

my period was due at the very start of this month, so is not very late at all

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Feb-17 23:45:52

It's quite easy to convince yourself you're pregnant when you're not. I hope that's the case for you. smile

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Feb-17 23:46:45

If you're a week late a test will definitely tell you one way or the other.

Foggymist Fri 10-Feb-17 00:05:35

Why go to the doctors without having done a test first? A test is the obvious answer surely.

user1486681058 Fri 10-Feb-17 01:03:55

I have an appointment for other reasons, thought i'd bring it up. Haven't done a test as didn't want to entertain over analytical behavior, thanks for your concern.

Monstamio Fri 10-Feb-17 02:21:53

I think by posting here you are over analysing far more than by simply doing a pregnancy test. By now you could have already found out one way or another rather than questioning every potential symptom.

Did you do a test in Nov/Dec after missing your period in October? It seems odd to have simply waited that out. What you describe from January could have been a miscarriage, though 3 days sounds v short (I've had several) but nobody on here will be able to know for sure.

But I also have to question why you are having unprotected sex if you don't want to get pregnant. January clearly wasn't a one off if you thought you were also pregnant in December. Perhaps tomorrow's GP appointment would be a good opportunity to discuss contraception if you discover that you are not pregnant, though I would still advise you to do your test before heading to the doctor so you are armed with the right information.

Moonywormtailpadfootprongs Fri 10-Feb-17 03:14:15

Go pee on a stick grin...

arbrighton Fri 10-Feb-17 12:05:24

Peeing on a stick is far less 'over analytical' than the current behaviour

Jellybabie3 Fri 10-Feb-17 15:02:59

I think your overanalyzing and going round in circles as you are aware you have been having unprotected sex. Stressing yourself out and symptom spotting can do strange things to your body. You clearly just need to do a test to answer this though. And as others have said if you dont want to get pregnant, find a safe method of contraception by talking to your GP. And stick to it.

Oysterbabe Fri 10-Feb-17 15:07:41

Just do a test and you will have an answer in 3 minutes and can stop thinking about it.

BertieBotts Fri 10-Feb-17 15:08:00

The GP will just tell you do to a pregnancy test. You can get them in poundland really cheap or superdrug ones are okay too.

FWIW I think that the increased fertility after a mc thing is a bit of an old wives' tale. It's just confirmation bias. Research shows no change in fertility, but even with normal fertility you have almost a 50% chance to be pregnant within 3 months of starting trying anyway.

Monstamio Fri 10-Feb-17 17:54:09

How did you get on with the doctor OP?

user1486681058 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:42:52

I'm pregnant, aprox about 9 weeks but have an appointment to confirm this as spoke with doc about possibility of a miscarriage, I did a test before I went. Thanks for the advice ladies, I was being a bit silly, but appreciate it all the same. Scared but excited, first pregnancy.

user1486681058 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:47:19

Could be anywhere from 8- 12 weeks, I'm still learning but the scan should confirm everything and hoping I don't also have ovarian cyst lol, which was what my orginal apt was about and I am told could pose risk to my pregnancy

MumBeth Fri 10-Feb-17 19:56:59

Although you said you wasn't planning on being pregnant, Congratulations ☺ and you still have many options to decide whether you want to keep baby or not.
(And btw, unprotected sex happens and don't let any judgements of people get you down about how you unintentionally fell pregnant).

Also my auntie had an ovarian cyst with her 1st baby, it was massive and she managed to have a baby totally fine and went on to have a 2nd before she had it removed. So don't worry x

user1486681058 Fri 10-Feb-17 22:41:26

Oh thank you so much my lovley, the positivity is greatly appreciated. Although it is indeed inconvenient, there is simply no way I could opt to get rid of my baby. He or she is a miracle in my eyes no matter the circumstance, and while I respect the choices people make, it really isn't a choice for me.

Thank god lol, that was worrying me a bit and so thats nice to hear, thank you. Is stomach cramping and stabbing pain near my right hip normal? I also have what appears to be developing acne under my chin, which I've never had in my life! Happy with how long and strong my nails are though lol, usually takes me a long time to grow them smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now