Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ate raw egg!

(13 Posts)
Karmaisabitch Thu 09-Feb-17 22:31:13

I'm 31 weeks pregnant, I made panacotta last night and used 1 egg white for the batch which made 5 portions.

I ate 1 of them tonight and then shortly after I realised I'd used the eggs which had been laid by my next door neighbours chickens....rather than the ones I bought from the shop.

Help!!

YellowCrocus Thu 09-Feb-17 22:33:45

You will be totally, absolutely fine. Stop worrying!

cestlavielife Thu 09-Feb-17 22:33:51

Chances are you will be fine...

in any case nothing you can do if on the off chance you catch something...just seek medical,advice if you get sick and tell them what you ate.

Karmaisabitch Thu 09-Feb-17 22:36:25

I'm only worried as they are unvaccinated & unbranded eggs

Waterlemon Thu 09-Feb-17 22:36:56

If eggs have lion mark on them which most do now, the chickens were inoculated against samenella and I think a few other things, so the risk of getting ill is very, very low

Waterlemon Thu 09-Feb-17 22:37:24

Oh cross posted with you!

HLBug Thu 09-Feb-17 22:50:29

Most recent studies seem to think raw eggs are actually fine. I have had A LOT of carbonara this pregnancy based on this!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36888285

HLBug Thu 09-Feb-17 22:51:53

Ah sorry - not raw but from 'fresh' chicken! Probably better for you than the shop bought ones.

Sipperskipper Thu 09-Feb-17 22:54:51

Recent guidance is that its ok. I've eaten super runny eggs (from my own chickens!) everyday. (6.5 months preg). The concern is over salmonella, which you would know if you had caught! And with that is no specific risk to baby, but can just make you very very ill. Less likely to get salmonella from back garden chickens than awful caged flocks!

Spam88 Thu 09-Feb-17 23:50:56

As PP said, if you get ill then seek medical attention, but chances are you'll be fine smile as another PP said, the risk from salmonella isn't to your baby, it just could make you quite unwell because your immune system is weakened during pregnancy.

INeedNewShoes Thu 09-Feb-17 23:55:12

That egg will have been far fresher than any super-duper-free-range-organic- posh-brand egg from Waitrose you could have used. My hunch is that you'll be fine smile

In fact you've just made me realise that when I was at my parents' place in October and again over Christmas I had runny poached eggs made with eggs from a local chicken (not lion stamped). I seem to be fine!

Karmaisabitch Fri 10-Feb-17 00:03:24

Ooooooh thank f!ck for that!! Was a bit panicky for a minute.

I don't usually worry, if anything I worry less since falling pregnant.

I cook chicken & mince straight from frozen.
I eat raw egg (lion stamped)

I'm not really the kind that freaks out except for the above original post.

MiniMaxi Fri 10-Feb-17 00:14:46

You'll almost certainly be fine and in any case with eggs the risk is you might get salmonella - it won't harm the baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now