Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's migraines carry on in the first trimester?

(7 Posts)
HK1234 Thu 09-Feb-17 10:27:06

I used to get migraines every few months usually a few days before my period was due (with a few exceptions) and have been suffering from a truly terrible migraine for the last 2 days (they would usually ease up within 24 hours before). I understood that pre menstrual migraines are often due to a drop in oestrogen so am very concerned that this is a sign that my hormone levels are dropping as this would have been around the time I'd have got one. I'm 8 weeks.
I spoke to the Dr yesterday and he was going to refer me to the EPU but then changed his mind as I'm not bleeding so he told me to "watch and wait" and gave me no reassurance whatsoever. Lots of the things I've read say menstrual cycle patterned migraines should improve in pregnancy. Has anyone else still suffered? And do you have any tips on what to do about it? I've been using ice on my forehead, haven't been able to go to work so been resting and took one paracttomol yesterday which did nothing. May resort to 2 paracetomol and drinking some coke although i quit caffeine a month ago when I found out I was pg. Any help would be really appreciated as feeling awful and scared that it's all over.

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 09-Feb-17 10:33:34

I suffered headaches throughout the whole of my 3rd pregnancy (at times when I should have had my cycle) worse in the last few weeks. I did go in to hospital twice just to be monitored but everything else was fine. I think I did take a couple of paracetamol when I was desperate. Everything else was fine though, no pregnancy problems, and baby was perfectly fine.

knust Thu 09-Feb-17 16:49:40

I suffer horrendous migraines with aura, the auras are similar to stroke symtoms - terrifying. Luckily for me mine are quite infrequent now, I'm almost certain they are linked to whacky hormones; I tend to only get one when I have a weird cycle. I did have them in my first trimester of my first two pregnancies, once at 11 weeks with my first and two with my sencond, one at 7 weeks and then another again at 11 weeks. Then no more throughout pregnancy until two weeks before my periods returned when my babies were born (luckily not for many months after birth due to breastfeeding)
This time around I am nearly 16 weeks pregnant and I have not had a single one, I'm optimistic that I am out of my danger zone now. The difference this time is that I have been taking quite a high dose of magnesium and also B2, I have also been avoiding carbs and sugar. These changes I made around mid 2015 when my migraines increased when my cycles were going a bit weird, and the vitamins and diet changes seemed to help so I stuck with them during pregnancy. I'm pretty convinced they have helped.

I hope you find something that helps, they are horrible things.

ExpectoPatronummmm Thu 09-Feb-17 18:25:55

I had excruitiating migraines from 12-20 weeks. Not had one since and I'm 34 weeks preg

user1478902502 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:08:38

I've always suffered from migraines (with aura) and would usually average 1 or 2 a month. I'm 18wks now and since 5 weeks I've averaged one a week. They've all been bad and have resulted in a few days off work, though luckily most seem to come at weekends or in the evenings. I know it doesn't help you but just wanted you to know you're not alone!

labradottie Thu 09-Feb-17 21:22:39

Yes I had at least a migraine a week during first trimester (2-3 days at a time) with dd1. Nothing after 13ish weeks until the night before I went into labour! I have cyclical migraines when not pregnant. What to do about them? Lots of lying in dark rooms with cold flannel on forehead or back of neck - not sure I ever found anything else to work. Hope yours stop soon.

HK1234 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:36:10

Thanks for all your responses and sorry to hear you've been suffering too! However it's reassuring to know I'm not alone as I freaked myself out thinking it was a bad sign given the previous pre menstrual trigger. I've finally emerged from 48 hours of horror and feel SO much better. Just hoping the little bean is OK in there, but as the Dr said it could be 101 reasons and I guess hormones are running wild so just need to hang in there til 12 week scan. Sending lots of healthy, migraine free vibes to us all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now