Talk

Advanced search

Period-type pains near the end of pregnancy

(8 Posts)
ElleDubloo Thu 09-Feb-17 09:14:51

Hi everyone. I'm 38+4 at the moment on my second pregnancy. I've been getting occasional period pains for the past week or so. Sometimes mild, sometimes severe. Never frequent or regular enough to make me think that it's labour. I'm struggling to think what this could be. In my first pregnancy, when I started getting period pains at 39+5 they built up very quickly and I was in labour within 24 hours. This time they've been around for over a week. Is anyone else experiencing this and what does it mean?

drinkyourmilk Thu 09-Feb-17 09:39:05

I would think it's just your body limbering up.
I'm guessing you are seeing your midwife soon, so maybe mention it to her?
So long as baby is still moving as normal and you have no bleeding I'd say everything is fine.

AreWeThereYet000 Thu 09-Feb-17 10:19:42

I'm 38+4 as well and I've had this since Saturday, even had some contractions that felt too strong to be braxton hicks but they amounted to nothing. Also my second pregnancy and I don't remember having this with my first, I just suddenly started getting contractions and I was in labour. I'm seeing my midwife this afternoon so I'll ask her and post back what she says xx

ElleDubloo Thu 09-Feb-17 10:25:04

Thanks both! I saw my midwife on monday and I'm not due to see her again until 40 weeks. Please let me know what she says AreWeThereYet.

AreWeThereYet000 Thu 09-Feb-17 15:30:26

Hey, I'm back! She couldn't do an internal under the new guidelines (apparently can only check now if you are having contractions there and then, or it's your due date, unless agreed by a consultant) she did say it is all your body gearing up for the labour to begin, and if you can feel a sort of nipping sensation that's the cervix changing. Booked in for a sweep on my due date if nothing happens before x

ElleDubloo Thu 09-Feb-17 17:09:46

Ah, OK. If she's not worried then that's good! I was wondering if it meant that labour is imminently going to start, or whether it was more of a general "gearing up" and didn't mean anything re timing. Thanks for letting me know. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

AmyLouiseMumto2 Thu 09-Feb-17 17:34:19

Oh wow I feel like I could have written this actually made a post a second ago pretty much the same. I've been having the same but today and last night been having tightenings which haven't disappeared, I've got midwife tomorrow (38+5) for stretch and sweep and consultants requested it. So will let you know what she says!

AreWeThereYet000 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:02:30

No she wasn't worried - I was a bit disappointed nothing could be done today but oh well not long now. Good luck everyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now