Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do you wax/shave in preporation for giving birth??

(54 Posts)
Babyblues14 Thu 09-Feb-17 08:59:41

or just dont care??
I do keep it tidy down there, but I know there will come a point when I wont be able to see to do it lol
tbh I dont think I will be bothered, I dont see anyone commenting on the fact that I havent shaved when an baby is coming out of there, so I'm not worried about being embarrassed. just wanted to know how everyone else fels about it and also is it safe to get waxed when you are so far along?

Gallavich Thu 09-Feb-17 09:01:13

Um no. Didn't even cross my mind.

DianaMemorialJam Thu 09-Feb-17 09:01:30

I never did

I had a c section so they told me they had to shave me a bit but apart from that... Natural 😂

LaPharisienne Thu 09-Feb-17 09:02:35

Yep, why not! Something to do while you're waiting.
smile

BreatheDeep Thu 09-Feb-17 09:03:06

NHS advice is to not shave or wax as it increases chance of infection slightly. I tried to trim but you can't see what you're doing and can't really reach either so it was a pretty crap attempt. None of the medical staff care one bit. It's just how you feel about it.

ElleDubloo Thu 09-Feb-17 09:10:17

I went for a wax near the end of my first pregnancy. God knows why. Maybe I felt nervous about my bits being on show. I'd never shaved or waxed down below prior to that. Found it extremely painful. She didn't do a complete job so it looked awful. Also I got a bad case of folliculitis afterwards. Never had a wax again since.

scaevola Thu 09-Feb-17 09:10:33

You don't need to depilate in preparation for childbirth (and Breathedeep is right; those of us old enough to remember the campaigning against compulsory shaving will remember how it was demonstrated to have no advantage and some risk).

If you do depilate anyhow, there's no reason not to continue, for as long as you can see what you are doing and for as long as you don't react to the method (you can become more sensitive during pregnancy). It's a bad idea to do so close to expected delivery, because even though the risks of infection are small, it's something you can do without and is totally avoidable.

fruityb Thu 09-Feb-17 09:11:25

I gave up on that as I hadn't seen my own fanjo for the longest time. And I figured they see so many they really won't care. And neither will you lol.

I had an EMCS and find this talk of shaving strange as I wasn't!

Gaaaah Thu 09-Feb-17 09:12:56

Nah. Haven't seen it for months by that point so why bother.

25bottles Thu 09-Feb-17 09:16:58

Wow did they used to force people to shave? I never knew that.
I shave mine like a few weeks before you can't see and have to do it by feel.
I read once that someone got their dh to shave them which takes some trust.
I know they do check you after to see if you have any tears it might be easier if there wasn't a big bush but who knows.
If you do have a c-section they will shave you quickly with a cheap bic razor.

IateallthePies654 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:18:46

No, didn't even think about it.

Non of the staff care at all and any that do are bloody weirdos.

MrsBellefleur Thu 09-Feb-17 09:19:39

I might have a tiny trim with some scissors but that's all I do normally anyway and it's mainly to avoid so much mess with the lochia.

DianaMemorialJam Thu 09-Feb-17 09:20:02

fruity they just had to take a bit off the top as that was where they made the incision. They didn't give me a Hollywood or anything!

Seeline Thu 09-Feb-17 09:21:35

No - although I was partially shaved after my first labour as I tore quite badly following an episiotomy and had to be stitched (or was it before that - it was all a bit of a blur!!!).
TBH the regrowth, with the stitches, and maternity pads was so uncomfortable, I really would avoid it if at all possible.

kel1234 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:22:22

I did. I was able to do it myself until I was 37/38 weeks. Then my husband helped me.
I feel uncomfortable if I haven't shaved

FormerlyFrikadela01 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:23:53

I was going to but in the end just couldn't be bothered. It felt like too much effort

Batteriesallgone Thu 09-Feb-17 09:26:10

I didn't because of the infection risk. Why chance it was my opinion

qazxc Thu 09-Feb-17 09:28:22

Unless you want to do it for your own sake, I wouldn't bother. Nobody will care and they will shave off what they need to if you have to have a c section.

MsVanRein Thu 09-Feb-17 09:29:52

Nope. I'm a regular Hollywood wax devotee as a general rule but didn't bother once during pregnancy as I couldn't be bothered with being so ill. I just didn't care enough to even consider it and can't imagine any midwife or gynae would care surely they've seen every type of fanjo going.

averylongtimeago Thu 09-Feb-17 09:35:11

When I had mine many moons ago, the routine on being admitted to the Labour ward was this: paperwork, compulsory complete shave of the nether regions (I was "done" by a young man about 23 yrs old I found it very embarrassing) followed by an enema followed by a very fast waddle down the corridor to the loos where I literally thought my bum was going to explode .Only then was I allowed to get on with giving birth.
I did ask why, but the midwife said it was to make things "nicer" for the Dr and baby wouldn't be covered in poo.
If given the choice again, I would say no need to bother. If your midwife and Dr can't cope with a normal foof then they are in the wrong job.

wheresthewine36 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:42:44

25bottles, midwives/auxiliaries shaved and administered an enema to everyone in labour a few decades ago. Some countries still do.

Purplebluebird Thu 09-Feb-17 09:46:16

I did actually! Haha smile

SpaceDuck Thu 09-Feb-17 09:48:21

I couldn't reach/see properly so DP did it for me 😂😂😂

He also cut and painted my toe nails! He is a goodun!

Shadowboy Thu 09-Feb-17 09:49:02

I waxed for the first. It was the most painful wax I've ever had.

I didn't for the second due to memories of the first!

Whatsername17 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:53:02

You won't care. Seriously. I laboured on all fours with dd2 and the midwife put a sheet over my bare bottom to protect my modesty. She and dh kept holding it on my back because it kept slipping off. I ended up shouting at them both to stop pissing around with the fucking sheet and just leave it; after all, dh had seen it a million times and the midwife was about to pull a baby out of there so we really had no need for modesty. blush In my defence I didn't have any pain relief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now