Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

1 week old - keeps hiccuping

(11 Posts)
user1465146157 Wed 08-Feb-17 20:34:57

Hello - does anyone know why my baby keeps getting the hiccups?

This is mixed with some other issues with wind but she'll get the hiccups and it lasts for ages.

What is causing this and how can I stop them? Only know adult remedies e.g water.

thanks

NotTheBelleoftheBall Wed 08-Feb-17 20:38:29

DD hiccups a lot, she is currently 4mo and she's been hiccuping since she was in the womb.

I read somewhere they get hiccups when their temperature changes (e.g. Nappy change or bath time), I don't know how true that is, but there seems to be a correlation with DD getting hiccups when we're on our way back from a nappy change (which happens in the slightly cool spare room at the back of our house).

We find that a bit more milk often helps clear her hiccups up. Until recently she didn't seem to notice them at all, now she appears to be mildly irritated by them so are we.

Good luck and congratulations!

NotTheBelleoftheBall Wed 08-Feb-17 20:39:04

Oh I meant to say: hiccups are totally normal and nothing to worry about!

Somehowsomewhere Wed 08-Feb-17 21:20:33

My DD1 hiccuped all the time. In the womb and when she came out! Don't know why, and it stopped eventually.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Wed 08-Feb-17 21:37:43

My baby hiccupped almost every day from birth until around four months old. It didn't bother her, I think she thought it was the normal way to be! They went away on their own.

user1465146157 Fri 10-Feb-17 02:57:16

Thanks pp's!
She did it in the womb too

X

Heirhelp Fri 10-Feb-17 03:03:40

It can be a sign of over stimulation/tired, trapped wind or just one of those things.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Fri 10-Feb-17 09:09:02

There is an old wives tale that if they hiccup a lot they also learn to talk early and talk a lot... almost definitely nonsense, but quite a cheerful thought!

GreedyDuck Fri 10-Feb-17 09:47:13

I had a very hiccupy baby, she grew out of it. I wouldn't worry too much.

mellongoose Fri 10-Feb-17 10:38:18

That's interesting Belle. My dd was an avid hiccupper inside the womb and almost every day when she was little. She did learn to talk early!

Love a good old wives tale blush

PeachBellini123 Fri 10-Feb-17 11:05:26

My 4 week old is the same. He has got colic so not sure if related. They can happen randomly - they even start if he gets too excited on his playmat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now