Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Only 27 weeks but feeling more like 37! Gah!

(5 Posts)
Creena Tue 27-Feb-07 17:13:44

I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant and just lately, over the past 2 weeks, I've started to feel absolutely worn out. I'm so tired all of the time; I feel listless, sleepy, drained, headachey, nauseous, I'm finding it hard to get stuff done and my pelvis aches like the achiest thing in the world! Bump seems to have quadrupled in size just recently too.

I don't remember feeling this way with my other two. In fact, I don't think that I felt particularly tired until right at the very end of the pregnancies. I can't figure out why I'm feeling so knackered so early! I've taken Pregnacare throughout the pregnancy, so I'm pretty sure that I'm getting enough iron. I'd feel a bit silly asking my midwife or GP about it, as I'd feel like I was taking up their precious time. The only other thing I can think of it that is must be my age - I'm 38 now and it's been 10 years since my last pregnancy.

Has anyone else felt like this so soon? Any ideas on what could be causing it? Any tips on what I can do to try and perk myself up a bit? HELP!!

twelveyeargap Tue 27-Feb-07 17:22:53

Hi Creena. It's not just you. I'm 28 weeks and since about 26 weeks, I've been shattered. I thought I was iron deficient too, but taking suppliments didn't perk me up.

I actually cried the other night because I was so bloody disappointed that the "I can do anything, I have tons of energy" 2nd trimester feeling was over.

Everything seems to take me twice as long to do and whereas I used to get by on 6 hours sleep a night, I feel like I need 10 now and a nap in the day as well.

I'm sorry I don't have a magic solution. I think the consensus seems to be that you have to give into it. Your body is telling you to slow down.

Plus, you're carrying a lot of weight around. Imagine before you got pregnant, if someone had strapped a large bag of potatoes to your belly and said, "Off you go now. Don't take that off for the next 3 months." That's the stage we're at. It's hard work. Actually, I saw my osteopath today and he said that when he was in college, they were given fake heavy breasts to wear for the day, plus a weighted belt, and made to walk around the college for 6 hours to give them an idea of what it's like to be heavily pregnant. He said they were all shattered by the end of the day and sore and miserable. Give yourself a break.

Am going to go and try to take my own advice now!

incy Tue 27-Feb-07 17:22:56

Yes I am 28 weeks and feel exactly the same ! Last time I worked FT until 40 weeks and so I am finding it all a bit odd.

Not sure if you are a vegetarian but I have found eating at least one portion of meat each day has helped somewhat. Also taking pregnacare.

Have also put it down to my age as I am 35 whereas last time I was 32.

Sorry can't be more help but many sympathies

Creena Tue 27-Feb-07 17:30:57

Thanks, ladies - it's good to know I'm not the only one! I'm just going to have to ease up a bit, aren't I? My GP signed me off for 2 weeks (for SPD) and I'm due back at work on Thursday. While the SPD has been manageable during the past 2 weeks, I'm now flipping knackered! I'm dreading going back on Thursday as work is pretty hectic with long hours and lots of travel. I think I'm going to have to have a word with someone senior and explain that I'm no longer up to managing the same workload I was managing before.

incy Tue 27-Feb-07 17:52:22

Poor you, SDP, no wonder you are feeling tired. Take it easy...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: