Talk

Advanced search

Anything to avoid spd

(17 Posts)
flymo79 Wed 08-Feb-17 04:07:43

Hi, 10 weeks pregnant with #2, remembering the horror that is spd( had it terribly in first pregnancy). Is there anything I can be doing now to try to avoid it?? I e been laid low with morning sickness and I know keeping mobile helps (gulp)

chickenwing Wed 08-Feb-17 04:10:15

Watching with interest, I'm 9 months post #3 and still having trouble (and quite possibly preg againblush)

phoebe2016 Wed 08-Feb-17 06:50:39

Hi. I doubt theres anything you can do to avoid it, as it is due to the hormone Relaxin causing everything to loosen up. I am suffering terribly atm at 21wks, it started at 16wks! I didn't have it at all during my previous 2 pregnancies.

whothefuckhas5children Wed 08-Feb-17 06:53:21

Pregnancy pilates really helped me. And in between pregnancies I got really strong core muscles through pilates and that helped subsequent pregnancies. I was on crutches for my first and by my last, while I wasn't exactly perfect, I was certainly mobile. flowers it's shit sad

Bluebellevergreen Wed 08-Feb-17 06:55:04

My physiotherapist said that having a strong pelvic floor could help. Maybe.
As it will hold everything like a hammock and maybe help the pelvis.
So download the squeezy app and get started.
If that doesnt work for PGP it will for incontinence anyway

McBaby Wed 08-Feb-17 07:50:03

Do all the things that helped in previous pregnancies as soon as you can! Currently 27 weeks with third spd pregnancy. I have got a rota for the school run as I just can't walk there without being in agony, I drive everywhere I can (or to be honest unless I can park outside I don't go), pillow between knees and duvet under sheet. I avoid pushchairs, all shopping done online and avoid lifting the kids as much as possible.

Accupucture helped in first pregnancy but not second, osteopath helped in second pregnancy but tried it at 17 weeks but no change, I have found a chiropractor this time who has helped with the general pain but it's still difficult to be very mobile without pain!

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 08-Feb-17 08:02:31

Mine started at 8 weeks with this, my second pregnancy. I was far fitter going into this pregnancy than I was last time but it's made no difference!
Acupuncture and massage help a bit. But I'm on crutches this time and wasn't last time.
Start following all the advice now! Knees together, avoid lifting, pelvic floor exercises.

flymo79 Wed 08-Feb-17 08:10:30

Eeek! Thanks ladies... Def getting that app and will search for Pilates...

phoebe2016 Wed 08-Feb-17 10:43:52

Its funny because i was no where as fit when i had my other kids (last one 12yrs ago!) as i was at the start of this pregnancy. I was regularly doing pilates, yoga, weights, cardio, had an extremely strong core etc, Yet this is the only pregnancy ive suffered with spd! Currently on co-codamol and waiting for physio. Im avoiding walking too far or heavy lifting, sleep surrounded by pregnancy pillow and another cushion between my legs, but still wake 3-4 times a night in pain. Im 40 now, so maybe age has been a factor this time too, who knows?! But i just keep reminding myself its tempory and will improve once baby is born x

OuchBollocks Wed 08-Feb-17 10:46:33

This may be a touch extreme but I have found that acquiring multiple fractures in my right ankle and therefore being non weight bearing from 33 weeks onwards has meant no return of the SPD I suffered in my last pregnancy grin

flymo79 Wed 08-Feb-17 22:28:12

Ouch - that absolutely slayed me! Obviously not hilarious for you, but as a tip, 100% brilliant. Thanks

CharMamaof2 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:54:22

I had it in my previous 2 pregnancies and continued to have hip and lower pain back following my DD2 birth 4 years ago. A chiropractor recommended yoga which I have done twice a week since and the pain/ache has all but gone and my pelvic floor/core is so much better! I am now 22 weeks and I have carried on doing the classes and notice straightaway if I miss one, I'm in bits, so would definitely recommend some kind of pregnancy yoga/Pilates to stretch and strengthen you.

JonSnowsWhore Thu 09-Feb-17 11:00:33

I'm totally on board with trying ouch's idea! I remember the tears through the night last time, just from turning over in bed, as someone else said, not going anywhere unless I can park outside. & I can feel it all creeping back up on me this time round at 22 weeks! I'm literally scared for the next few months!

flymo79 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:37:29

Oh cripes jon... Not a pleasant thought. Gawd there is SO much that is horrendous about pregnancy!! I'm so gutted I stopped doing yoga when I moved just before Christmas.. I'm going to try pregnancy yoga when I get into my second trimester and (hopefully) feeling better

JonSnowsWhore Thu 09-Feb-17 16:15:11

After I wrote that last comment, I was just on my way out to do nursery pick up & my ankle gave way underneath me & I went flying into the kitchen 😂 that'll teach me to be careful what I wish for! No damage luckily lol

nuggles Thu 09-Feb-17 16:28:52

I swore by reflexology in my second pregnancy. She was amazing at pressing on the hormone points that triggered spd. Worked a treat! Didn't alleviate it fully, but made it sooo much better

flymo79 Fri 10-Feb-17 06:27:51

Sheeeeeeet! Oh no JonSnow!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now