Talk

Advanced search

Heart palpitations

(7 Posts)
thewindisfullofghosts Tue 07-Feb-17 20:09:39

I'm 22 weeks, generally had an okay pregnancy so far apart from some severe cramping in the early weeks. In the last few days I've been having heart palpitations. It feels irregular rather than too fast (pulse is normal). I have had them in the past, had ECGs etc, and there is nothing wrong, so I'm not worried exactly.

But should I be? I've read some women experience them due to the additional blood flow but for short periods, whereas mine are lasting hours. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried about the effect it might be having on my baby.

Rosetree123 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:59:20

I am experiencing this also! Absolutely horrible, I spoke to my midwife about it last week and she said in pregnancy it can be a sign of anemia so I had my blood taken. Since i saw the midwife it seemed to have gotten worse as I had them for over 12 hours so I went and saw my gp who checked the blood results and it turns out I am anemic, my gp prescribed me with irom tablets n I haven't had them since until tonight but I suppose thats not giving the irom tablets enough time to work. My gp said it it keeps up I have to go back and he will refer me to hospital to get monitored.

thewindisfullofghosts Tue 07-Feb-17 21:03:33

Thanks so much for replying! It's awful isn't it? I'll make an appointment then, I think. I hope the tablets work for you.

Rosetree123 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:25:00

Thank you OP flowers Hope you get everything sorted too.

SkyLucy Tue 07-Feb-17 22:38:23

I'm 39 weeks and have had this throughout (alongside a resting pulse of 120). It's worried my GP and midwife - I was signed off work from 6 months. However, I've always felt well, and the many ECGs have come back fine, as did the echo cardiogram I had. My blood pressure has also always been fine; another good sign. Definitely get your bloods done soon - I am anaemic and have been on heavy-duty iron pills for three months. I may need a blood infusion. As PPs have said this often causes strange heart activity- it's desperately trying to pump the minimal haemoglobin around! I'm consultant-led but TBH this hadn't made much of a difference and we're quite confident everything will return to normal after the birth - I'm allowed a natural birth with only slightly more monitoring.

So panic not, get your bloods tested, and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! flowers

thewindisfullofghosts Tue 07-Feb-17 22:41:22

Thank you Sky, I will definitely get myself checked out. I'm glad everything is going okay for you despite the issues, good luck for the birth flowers

lamprey42 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:50:19

I had bad heart palpitations in my twin pregnancy. After doing ECG, echo, 24 hour monitoring someone thought to check my iron and I was badly anaemic enough that I had to have iron injections. They are meant to do an extra blood check routinely in multiple pregnancies but for some reason had been missed. As said above definitely worth getting checked. On the plus side I do know my heart is in good shape. Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now