Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possibly 3 months?

(23 Posts)
user1486487846 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:35:20

Long post, apologies. Please someone give me advice, I don't think I can speak with anyone else about it.
I haven't a period since November, no sign of it either. My partner was killed at the beginning of November and through stress of everything I never replaced my pills. So could be why my period is out of sync. Thinking back, I did have typical symptoms of pregnancy, but I just never thought of it and assumed the head aches, and nausea etc was stress and upset. I took a few tests spread over a couple weeks when I relised I was late. The first ones I didn't realise had to be done in the morning, I had a line come up straight away and then fade within the same amount of time, just assumed that was normal, took another straight away but neg, another two were faulty, another one had a line which faded again within the timing. So I assumed I wasn't and tried to forget it and focus on everything I had to. Last week I became aware again that I am still late, I no longer have any nausea etc etc, I have trouble sleeping which is related to the loss of my partner. I had family visiting so couldn't go out to buy a test, I'm also aware that they may not pick up at this point in a preg? So I did at home ones, two tooth paste and two sugar test, both with positive results, I know this is not at all for definite. And i don't need comments about buying a proper test.. Anyway, yesterday and today I have very light spotting of brown blood, no cramps, no pain, nothing that seems like period coming. Spotted only once yesterday, and it's only there today if I wipe. Would a doctor just think I'm stupid if I went there. I feel like I am a nutter, my head is definitely not with it anymore. What should I do? Is it likely that I can be? What would they do? I must admit, I avoid the doctor as much as possible (needle phobe!!) I know I said I havent been on my pill, but during October we were away a lot and it was forgotten, and as we were both talking about starting a family, it really wasn't a big deal that I forgot them, I just hadn't got round to officially coming off. Thanks for any help.

vfoster Tue 07-Feb-17 17:45:30

I'm so sorry to hear about your partner. In my experience the doctors never did anything. I went after a positive test with my first and they just told me to contact the midwives.
2nd time round I didn't bother, I just called the midwives directly. I know some doctors will do tests though, perhaps mine just don't.
Sorry I can't help with the rest, I don't know much about fading lines.
Best of luck flowers

user1486487846 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:49:03

Thankyou. Should I phone them? I don't want to feel I am wasting there time if I am not, but if I am, I got a positive hcg test myself, I doubt I will at doctors with the same kind of tests. I just need to see it or not see it on a screen. I have considered a private scan.

Hollyhop17 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:50:12

Really sorry to hear that. Can you go to your local EPU and see if you can get a scan if you think you might be that far along? I'm not sure about tests if you think you might be 3 months pregnant, same as blood tests as I assume your HG levels would be quite low again. Good luck

user1486487846 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:55:10

Is there anything obvious I should be looking for at around 16-17 weeks that would help me know if I am. I'm a size 16 so haven't got a very obvious bump anyway.

Hollyhop17 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:58:54

Well I'm that far along, 17 weeks tomorrow, but I am suffering from hyperemesis so not a typical pregnancy I'm afraid. I am exhausted all the time, obviously bad sickness and a bit of pain if I lie for too long on my back. I am also a size 16 but do have a noticeable bump now, just a bit firmer than usual. If I was you I'd contact my local EPU and see if they can help.

SleepFreeZone Tue 07-Feb-17 18:01:38

I would go and get a pregnancy test and see what the result is.

vfoster Tue 07-Feb-17 18:11:11

Agreed, if you get a positive test (or even something that looks like positive) contact your EPU/midwives. They can give you more information than the GPS imo!
I'm 17 weeks and had symptoms from day 1. Everyone is really different and with everything you have been through, you may have missed signs.

arbrighton Tue 07-Feb-17 18:28:21

GPs wouldn't have seen me at all if I hadn't needed to speak re taking antidepressants and a few other medications.

Ring GP surgery and ask reception what procedure is

user1486487846 Tue 07-Feb-17 18:48:17

If I am, should I be worried about the brown bleeding? Thanks for your help x

shakeyospeare Tue 07-Feb-17 19:46:34

So sorry to hear about your partnerflowers
Brown blood sounds like old blood, so perhaps not as worrying, although it's definitely best to get checked out.
I'm pretty sure you can self refer to book in with a midwife by calling GP's surgery (that's how I did mine)
It sounds like you've had a really tough time, OP. Look after yourself

haveacupoftea Tue 07-Feb-17 20:01:07

I am so sorry for your loss. I think a scan is probably the way to go. Private scans are good if you want a non medical environment. EPU will possibly scan you too but may want you to see GP for blood tests etc first - best way to find out if ring them and see.

user1486487846 Thu 09-Feb-17 12:02:22

I think I am completely imagining where a plus sign would be..?

mistermagpie Thu 09-Feb-17 12:06:35

Im so sorry about your partner, I hope your ok. You might be seeing things, it's hard to tell from the photo. Could you get a pink dye test? Given the circumastances and that you might be fairly far alpong I would expect a more definitive result. I think tests becaome less reliable after a certain point though but I was testing until around 12 weeks (because I am crazy0 and was still getting strong lines.

ricepolo Thu 09-Feb-17 12:11:30

If you do retest then take a test with diluted urine. After about 8wks in a typical pregnancy the levels of HCG get so high that a normal pregnancy test struggles to pick them up and the line actually gets fainter. It's called the hook effect and I've had it in every pregnancy. However if you test with diluted urine (so there's less hcg) the line should get stronger again.

There have been cases of hospitals relying on urine pregnancy tests and missing pregnancies which later showed up on scans since the woman was too far along.

user1486487846 Thu 09-Feb-17 18:58:10

Thanks, bought pink dye today, will try it tomorrow. Do you know how much it should be diluted? Is there a certain ratio? X

haveacupoftea Thu 09-Feb-17 19:03:10

You dont need to wait until tomorrow - thats for people who are a few days post ovulation. If I were you I would just wee in the loo and dip it in.

ricepolo Thu 09-Feb-17 19:29:03

By 8/9wks I could dilute my wee to the point of it looking like water and still get a positive. I'd try 50:50 if you're not sure of dates

shakeyospeare Sat 11-Feb-17 23:25:51

Any updates, OP?

user1486487846 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:25:17

Hello, thanks for asking. After the faint line, I have a appointment on Thursday. But still not completly convinced anyone will believe me.. It's faint enough for me to imagine haha. Completely irrational but I ordered a doppler, I figured if I heard one I'd know for sure, and wouldn't feel so silly explaining an imaginative baby to a professional. Please dont judge me, I'm really mixed up! Anyway, it arrived when I was getting ready to leave so I had a quick root around. I found what sounded like a faint, quiet beat, not a swoosh sound, it was 126, could that be likely?

shakeyospeare Thu 16-Feb-17 12:27:32

Hope your appointment goes well today - keep us updated. Are you having a scan or midwife appointment?
No judging here, regardless of how today goes! I can't imagine how tough things must be for you.

purpleviolet1 Sat 04-Mar-17 16:40:05

How is it going op?

shakeyospeare Sat 04-Mar-17 16:47:21

Hope all's okaY, OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now