Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anemia 28 weeks

(7 Posts)
harleysmammy Tue 07-Feb-17 09:53:35

I had my bloods done at the midwifes yesterday and she left me a voicemail this morning to say im quite anemic and i need to get iron tablets. She said my iron level was 98 but when i google it it all looks like irish to me. Will being anemic hurt my baby? I googled it (dull i know) and it said severe anemic is dangerous but i dont know if mine is severe or not? Surely if it was severe i would have known earlier, i've had so many blood tests this pregnancy and no one has said anything. Is 98 a good level? X

Imstickingwiththisone Tue 07-Feb-17 10:00:05

I think when you're pregnant they want it to be at 110 so you're not severely anaemic no. Anaemia is common in pregnancy and I believe it is treated at this level for your well-being as there is no risk to the baby unless it dropped to a level that the baby wasn't getting any iron. As it stands the baby is just sapping your iron levels so you might be feeling lethargic and lacking in energy. Have you been prescribed iron tablets yet? Ferrous sulphate is the most common one but it can cause constipation so you might want to take a stool softener at the same time to counteract that problem before it occurs.

People have had success with Spatone which is naturally iron rich water and gentle on your stomach but it didn't help lift my iron levels.

Imstickingwiththisone Tue 07-Feb-17 10:02:26

When I was pregnant with DC1 I was told if I didn't get my iron levels up I couldn't give birth at midwife led unit because of increased chance of PPH. I ended up elsewhere for other reasons and did indeed have a PPH so not sure whether they would have prevented me going to MLU for this reason.

JessieMillz25 Tue 07-Feb-17 10:08:52

I'm a few days ahead of you and was told I was severly anaemic. Been taking iron tablets three times a day since and had to have my bloods taken again. Will be checked at all upcoming appointments now.

BrieAndChilli Tue 07-Feb-17 10:13:30

I was quite anemic in all 3 of my pregnancies - few years ago so can't remember levels
Had to have lots of iron tablets and at one point as the tablets weren't working enough I had to have an iron infusion drop in hospital.
I also had to have consultant led care and wasn't allowed a water birth (tried 3 times and never got to have one!!)

Katiepotato Tue 07-Feb-17 10:31:21

98 is low but not worryingly low, just low enough to need to take iron tablets (they're horrible). I wouldn't worry about baby, your body makes sure they're getting enough nutrients and then you're left with the depleted amounts. I've been on iron tablets once a day for the last 6 weeks and they do play havoc on your bowels but I've felt so much better over the last few weeks. What I thought was normal pregnancy symptoms was actually my anaemia!

Kaidenlong16 Tue 07-Feb-17 14:08:29

Hiya, I went through the exact same thing..my iron level went so low to 88 and below. I was experiencing chronic fatigue, could barely even be bothered to get out of bed. I didn't realise what it was until they gave me a blood test and checked my iron..I wasn't off work sick from 4 months into my pregnancy. It got so bad that I was walking across a main road and couldn't see a thing...my vision went completely and I almost passed out which is pretty scary when you're heavily pregnant. I was given iron tablets (ferrous fumerate) which helped me so much and I had my energy back for the last part of my pregnancy. I had to take 3 iron tablets a day & when my little man was born you could clearly see why I had no iron !! He was 8.15 and delivered via csection because he was so big so when it comes to your birth...be prepered for a large baby if he/she has lowered your iron so much and the tablets don't effect the baby at all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now