Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breathless/tight chest &threat with Braxton Hicks?

(8 Posts)
Picklingaround79 Mon 06-Feb-17 16:45:02

Hi

Just wondering if anyone else gets this and if it's something I should be worried about?

Been geeting increasing BH contractions over past week and in last couple of days have been finding breathing difficult for a good few minutes before and after... tightening in chest and throat and racing heart. It's really hideous and can't recall ever having this with DD1! It takes ages to calm down again.

Anyone else got/had this?! I am 37 weeks.

Thanks

Picklingaround79 Mon 06-Feb-17 16:45:50

Argh - throat not 'threat'!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 06-Feb-17 16:50:08

No but please give your MW a call. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but if you are short of breath with a racing heart, you need checking out smile

Pandabear123 Mon 06-Feb-17 17:20:48

I have been getting something similar. Not too bad or anything but definitely feel my heart racing a bit when I have had the odd braxton hicks & feel like i have to take deeper breaths. Couldn't tell.if it was just me.getting over excited though?

SmellySphinx Mon 06-Feb-17 17:29:26

Me!
I've had loads of Braxton Hicks with all 3 pregnancies. This (3rd) one more recently, 39 weeks, they have been quite intense as though my heart was getting squeezed too! It can make you panic a little but just breathe through it to make it sod off quicker haha. I wouldn't worry too much about it, there's very little room left in there and it's one hell of a big muscle that's contracting so it's bound to affect your other bits and pieces. Fairly obvious to say but unless you're feeling regular pains with them, I wouldn't worry. Just relax, the panic will make your heart go the more tense you are!

SmellySphinx Mon 06-Feb-17 17:32:41

One thing I always remeber in labour was the midwife telling me to relax and put my shoulders down. I didn't realise that I was tensing up, I only remever it so vividly because once I did realise it helped me relax! Not the same circumstance but it helped

deepestblue Mon 06-Feb-17 21:01:21

omg this happened to me all the time. i didn't even realise it was braxton hicks i just felt a horrible tightening in my throat as if i was being strangled confused im 39 weeks now and haven't had it for a few weeks

Picklingaround79 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:29:49

Glad it's not just me! I did ring the MW just to check, and they had me come in just now to have a look at my chest and rule out infections/PE etc. Which was reassuring.

Unexplained it was escalating with the BH/mild contractions but they were really adamant that there is no connection between breathlessness/compression and contractions... so felt rather confused as that's definitely the exacerbating factor for me I think!

They thought I was probably coming down with a viral bug and/or was responding with anxiety symptoms to the BH.

Good to know was nothing more serious, but it's definitely not getting much better meanwhile. Whenever I have contractions I feel like you say - like I'm being strangled or someone is sitting on my upper chest!

I hope mine fade out soon like yours have done Deepestblue...

Makes me feel better (*less mad*) that I'm not the only one experiencing this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now