Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I push for a growth scan?

(17 Posts)
JessieMillz25 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:49:51

On Friday I was at the hospital for reduced movement for the third time. The midwife on duty said they might scan me because it was the third time this had happened. She then finished her shift and we waited another hour and a half to see the doctor. Baby's heart rate was fine and no one mentioned the scan and to be honest I forgot that it had been mentioned as it was now very late at night. Should I mention this to my midwife when I was see her in a few weeks? Or will she think I'm being cheeky and trying to get an extra scan? I'm 28+6 btw and my bump is measuring just on the slightly smaller sign of average.

EsmesBees Sun 05-Feb-17 19:51:42

No harm in asking, if you say you are concerned since the midwife suggested it and it's been playing on your mind, they may well offer you one.

Lucinda15 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:00:33

I'd ask definitely. They shd take ur concerns seriously and shouldn't think ur being cheeky at all. I've heard people say time and time again that midwives are glad to check and find everything's ok, than to not check and things go wrong.

Fwiw, when I went to midwife clinic at around 36 weeks I only mentioned in passing that I was 'doing ok since Baby was giving me an easier time and not beating me up quite so much'. Midwife kept on on that comment and sent me straight up to hospital for monitoring. I was adamant everything was fine (which it was) but they were all really careful and took the whole thing very seriously. Everything was ok but as was my 2nd report of reduced movement they. Booked me in for a scan a day or two later. So I think if u push for one they should do it for u. And u shouldn't worry about being cheeky! Xx

Alb1 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:03:51

You should deffiently ask, I'm high risk this time (due to previous stillbirth) and I get great care this time anyway but have discovered that a lot of the things I've stressed about (thinking they'd just think I'm crazy or cheeky) they've happily agreed to when I've just asked, like early reassurance scans. So basically I've discovered if you don't ask you don't get. And it's never worth risking your baby through fear of looking silly, worst they can say is no. Fingers crossed they book it in quickly and put your mind at rest OP smile

JessieMillz25 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:04:28

Thank you ladies. I have an appointment not this Tuesday but the following one. I will mention it then. I have lots of midwife appointments and am with the mental health team which makes me worry (ironically) about asking for help because I'm worried things will be brushed aside as being my mental health playing up and not as actual issues if that makes sense.

VocalDuck Sun 05-Feb-17 20:06:53

If not, you can always pay for a private scan. They aren't very expensive and will give you reassurance.

FlipperSkipper Sun 05-Feb-17 20:30:28

I attended for reduced movement once and they wanted to book me a scan, I already had a growth scan a few days later so they just used that one. Definitely ask.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 05-Feb-17 20:33:39

THey may ring you tomorrow with an app

I had reduced movement. Scared df and I big time. Plugged baby in and imm heard heart

Triage said they would get me an extra scan. Following day not weekend the scan rang with app for next day

Def ask

If worries agree a private scan is well worth it

YouMeanYouForgotCranberriesToo Sun 05-Feb-17 20:35:34

Here is you go in for reduced movement twice then they book a scan. I'd phone and ask if I were you.

JessieMillz25 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:39:47

Thank you. Do you think I should text my midwife and mention it? Wait till I see her? Or is there someone else I should contact? Sorry I have real deep set anxiety issues about people thinking I'm over anxious about things confused

Alb1 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:02:14

If it'l help you phone the midwife and ask. Honestly don't worry about what other people think, the only people you need to be responsible for worrying about are yourself and your baby, let others think what they want. And for what it's worth, the cause of my stillbirth was very rare, and very unlikely to happen again, so I thought I'd just be treated as high risk for my own mental state and that they would just think I was a worrier, but they actually take it all very seriously and acknowledge that my mental health is very important too and are happy to reassure me whenever I need it. They may well be kinder to you than you expect flowers

JessieMillz25 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:09:23

Thank you Alb. I just think my midwife must be sick of hearing from me. By complete chance she was at the delivery suite while I was being monitored and made me feel really guilty for being there (not purposely. Just anxiety making me think that she was making me feel guilty)!

Alb1 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:14:19

She won't be, they have so many ladies on their books at a time you won't be the only one to phone a lot. And even if she's a complete cow and does think like that, in a couple of months you'll have given birth and shel be so busy with other ladies shel have forgotten all about you. I hope that doesn't sound harsh as I really don't mean it that way, just she honestly won't think about it that much, part of her job is to reassure pregnant ladies. Don't worry about going back to be monitored either, it's what they are there for. Once I get to 28 weeks (21 weeks now) il be having monitoring at least once a week by appointment and will be turning up lots extra I imagine as well, they see it every day and honestly would rather be sure

JessieMillz25 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:17:22

I get the babies heart rate checked every two weeks at the moment because of my anxiety. If it was up to me I would be plugged into the machines having her heart rate measured all the time 😳😳😳. I will see if anyone gets in touch with me tomorrow and if not text on Tuesday as my midwife doesn't work on Monday anyway. Thanks for the advice.

LauraLovesDaisy Mon 06-Feb-17 09:22:19

Please chase for a growth scan if there are any concerns. Pay for a private one if necessary. If nothing else it will reassure you. My bump was small and it turned out my baby had IUGR and I had pre eclampsia. She was born a month early at 4lbs. We're both doing fine now, but having the scan definitely had a big impact on the outcome.

mistermagpie Mon 06-Feb-17 09:28:09

I asked for an extra scan in my last pregnancy due to being in hospital for reduced movement three times. It was no issue and I got the scan the day after I asked. I was 36 weeks then though. It's worth asking.

zambean Mon 06-Feb-17 16:36:01

I had low PAPP A at the start and my hospital have been great at giving me growth scans. Have had them every four weeks since 20 weeks, and having had one today at 32 weeks, his growth seems to have slowed ever so slightly so I am having another one at 34 as well as 36 weeks. You should push for this. You are entitled to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now