Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

home birth experiences please :-)

(16 Posts)
nomers88 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:49:48

I'm almost 12 weeks pregnant with baby number 2 and am very tempted to have a homebirth and I would love to hear your experiences ( both good and bad) as I really can't decide ( I know its early days but I think its going to take me ages to make up my mind)

First birth was pretty straightforward. I Laboured gently all day at home , went to hospital and found I was only 1-2 cm and they sent me home but I returned 3 hours later as contractions were really close and turned out I was 8cm. Baby was born a couple of hours later in the pool. The worst bit for me (other than the ring of fire and stitches- ouch) was the transfer to hospital as when I got there the contractions were so close together I couldn't sit still long enough to be examined and I could already feel the babies head pressing down . I think maybe it felt more distressing as when I first came to the hospital they told me I probably wouldn't need to come back till the next morning and so when it all started ''happening'' so quickly it made me panic a little bit ( I know I'm lucky it happened quickly!). Also had to convince the midwives quite a lot of the phone that we thought it was time to come to the hospital!

I also love the idea of climbing into bed afterwards and my partner being there afterwards ( men aren't allowed on the ward after 8 in my local hospital)

FoxAndTheBound Sun 05-Feb-17 19:51:11

Hello. I had my first in hospital. Induction but straight forwards.

I then went on to have three home births, 2 of which were water births.

All wonderful.

ShutTheFridgeUp Sun 05-Feb-17 19:56:07

Had a home water birth with my first. Was absolutely amazing! Fully intend on doing the same with the next one (whenever that may be!) smile

picklemepopcorn Sun 05-Feb-17 19:58:02

I had my first at home. It was great though there were one or two problems.
It was hard for the midwives to see what they needed to in my bedroom/on my bed. (For our second we decided to use a futon mattress on the floor of the lounge so there would be more room.)

The midwife only had a small part used gas and air canister which ran out midway. Now they send a large tank delivered in advance.

Then at some point I had bumped my coccyx and the pain was overwhelming. Worse than labour. So they took us into hospital for investigation and care.

DS2 was born in hospital as he stubbornly wouldn't arrive on time. So no need for big GA tank, futon mattress, etc.

All in all home birth was better despite problems.

autumngold6 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:58:46

I had first baby in hospital after 6 hour labour. Had second one at home, took 8 hours but was much more relaxed. You have the midwife to yourself and a second midwife comes for the delivery. Had gas and air. It went really well, pleased that I opted for home birth.

Chocolateandwineplease27 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:00:11

Following too as thinking of home birth but it's our first so not sure if that's sensible!? Our local hospital is good but SO busy so we've hired a doula as I was worried about continuity of care etc. Doula said I should think about a homebirth if I continue to be low risk but love to hear first hand experiences

RedCrab Sun 05-Feb-17 20:07:17

I had a really taxing first labour - induced, 40 hours, back to back, epidural wore off, ended with forceps. So I was determined to try for a home birth as I really believed in being relaxed would help.

At 38 weeks with DC2 I went into labour - took me a little while to figure it out though! I freaked out, all I could think about was my toddler grin I went to the supermarket, did a food shop, cooked dinner and put him to bed. All the time my DH was like - ummm don't you need to chill/ concentrate on contractions? We set the pool up, called DH's mum (who was on hand to go to my toddler if he woke), and my doula. Everything was cool, totally relaxed and just hanging out watching tv. Contractions started to get a little more intense/closer together. In between contractions I was laughing and joking. Someone suggested calling the MWs - they turned up about 9.30. They wanted to examine me but I didn't want to know how far along I was (20 hours with DC1 and only 4 cm killed my headspace). I do recall the contractions at this point getting stronger and it was hard to do the examination. I got in the pool as soon as they finished (10pm). About ten minutes of chilling in the pool then it all kicked off - non-stop contractions, pep talk from my doula, bit of instruction from MWs, transition and birth - 10.55pm. The Mws told me later I was 4cm when I got in the pool grin

All in all it was 6 hours, totally chilled for five hours, very happy at home, no pain relief needed. Last hour was incredibly intense and I was too in the zone to use the gas and air. I had no pain relief at all. I think it probably would have helped me deal with transition easier if I'd used it but it wasn't terrible. It was an incredibly positive experience. I'm due again in 7 weeks and hoping it all goes the same.

Good luck with your labour, however it goes smile

321zerobaby Sun 05-Feb-17 20:07:34

Both my dc were born at home, I had a birthing pool set up in my living room for a month (one that had a heater and filter) I loved spending time in it before the birth, as did my dh, and then my dd1 the 2nd time round.

Both water births, no complications. I was 35, no risk factors. It was brilliant, would recommend (but I have a bit of a gp and hospital phobia, so wasn't even considering a hospital birth).

peppatax Sun 05-Feb-17 20:11:19

Had a great first homebirth with DD1 and planning another for DC2 due in June. I say great with the benefit of hindsight, at the time it was pretty brutal but I dread to think what it would be like having gone to hospital.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a HB for a first born - you'll soon get transferred if there is an issue but if you get to hospital and hate it you're stuck there!

Lauperr Sun 05-Feb-17 20:32:25

I had a homebirth with my first baby in September and it was amazing! We set up a birthing pool in the conservatory and when my waters broke (10 miles from home when I was on my own, and all over the front seat of my car!!!) I just felt relaxed about it all. My contractions started properly about 1am and by 3am midwife was there and I was 8cm dilated. I birthed my little girl myself wth no intervention other than the midwife monitoring her heartbeat with a Doppler between contractions in the pool and no pain relief, didn't even need gas and air. When my baby came I caught her myself in the pool and that was the most amazing experience of my life. She came at 5.30am so pretty quick. I had a fantastic midwife who was respectful of my wishes and let me just get on with it. Even 5 months on when I think about it I feel fantastic!

I wouldn't hesitate to have another homebirth when I have my second. I'd recommend hiring a birthing pool if you have space for it smile go for it!!

picklemepopcorn Sun 05-Feb-17 21:41:33

I felt my HB midwives were more respectful and understanding of my preferences. My hospital midwife 'gave it a little stretch to help you along' without asking first. It was too early to go to the birthing suite until it was too late, so I was stuck up on a traditional trolley bed, when I needed to be roaming around and maybe on a birthing ball. It was ok, but I was cross about it being done to suit her not me or baby. I ended up with really sore shoulders and arms from hanging on to the raised end of the bed. I need to be on all fours, really. If only I'd had a birthing ball...

ShowOfHands Sun 05-Feb-17 21:46:58

I attempted it twice. I had two emcs.

Try not to see it as home = good and hospital = bad if you can. That's my only advice. Hope for the ideal but plan for every eventuality.

divadee Sun 05-Feb-17 22:26:46

I have just had a home birth last week. This was my second baby and really wanted the home birth experience.

I think we left calling the midwife a bit late and it was all a bit rushed in the end but then my labour was only 1 hour 38 mins. The actually experience was amazing. And giving birth on all fours in my lounge incredible. I had paracetamol and gas and air. Hard work yes..... but totally worth it.

Unfortunately for me I had a massive (6 pints of blood lost) post partum haemorrhage post birth (retained placenta and a massive cervical tear. The cervical tear was caused by scar tissue from cancer treatment so most people wouldn't have that happen) and had to be transferred in to hospital. The midwives were incredible. They called the ambulance and stayed calm and brilliant throughout. One midwife came with me in the ambulance, the other one helped my OH get baby dressed and in her car seat and then they both came to the hospital.

But I wouldn't change a home birth even with all that going on. I don't think I am having any more babies given my age and I wouldn't be allowed another home birth but if they let me I would still do it all again.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Sun 05-Feb-17 22:48:24

I had my first with a homebirth.
I hired a pool but didn't fill it in time. Nevertheless had a great labour. TENS unit was awesome and really helped me. When contractions really ramped up MW came back, she'd come hours earlier but said I was nowhere near ready, and 12 mins after she walked through the door DD came out.

Sheets and towels down on the floor, all swept into a bag afterwards and chucked
I gave birth in my living room standing up and pacing as this eased the pain. Totally naked. So happy be in at home.
Pool made an excellent celebratory bath the following evening.

My local mat ward was 15 mins away which I thought was close enough for emergencies.
Hope to have another next time.
Good luck. smile

cornflakes91 Mon 06-Feb-17 06:45:00

I had a home birth in 2013 for my third baby. After a long labour that ended up assisted for my first and a scary 8 week prem delivery for my second I was just so happy to have made it to term and I really wanted to see if I could do it at home and luckily community midwife was very supportive. I woke up at 12.30am with contractions, decided to go downstairs and wash the pots and have a tidy round, by 1am they were very strong and I woke husband up to put the tens machine on me. Phoned my mum and sister at 1.15, phoned hospital at 1.30. Midwife arrived at 2am, mum arrived at 2.05am, baby arrived at 2.09am! The midwife never got time to phone for second midwife and my sister missed the birth by 20 minutes because of 50 zone on the m1. DD2 was born on a blow up air bed covered in towels on the living room floor, unfortunately when I got onto the air bed the tens machine pads ripped off my back and the midwife realised she'd brought an empty gas and air canister so there was abit of sweary shouting from me at that point. DD1 and DS stayed fast asleep in their beds throughout. Midwife left about 4.30am and it was so nice to climb into my own bed with my brand new baby and when my other two woke up in the morning I can never forget the look on my daughters face when she casually strolled into our bedroom and spotted her baby sister in a Moses basket next to the bed smile

ShutTheFridgeUp Mon 06-Feb-17 09:29:55

I would suggest a doula for a HB too. I had one and she was amazing, not just on the day, but she was so full of knowledge and options and really helped me make informed decisions about my birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now