Talk

Advanced search

Drinking in pregnancy

(127 Posts)
theheatherjane1 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:23:46

Do you? The odd cheeky one? Nothing at all?
I haven't, but some days, oh some days, the only thing standing between me and a delicious glass of booze is that there's sod all in the house.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sun 05-Feb-17 19:24:47

Nope. Not one after I found out I was pregnant. But then I can't understand being that desperate for one that I would even risk it.

Lilaclily Sun 05-Feb-17 19:25:37

I had half a lager shandy every now and then

Think I had half a glass of wine at a wedding

Mum2jenny Sun 05-Feb-17 19:26:26

I did on occasion

namechange20050 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:27:02

I had roughly a drink a month. Thoroughly enjoyed my champagne on Christmas Day!

TeaTeaTea Sun 05-Feb-17 19:36:13

I had the odd (probably 3 throughout the whole 9 months) glass of white wine spritzer. I also craved and nearly downed a half guiness (body liked the iron in it obviously), but I didn't enjoy them (other than the guiness!) as I normally would.
Also didn't have a drink until 3rd trimester.

GoosevonMoose Sun 05-Feb-17 19:38:09

None but will have one while breast feeding.

NapQueen Sun 05-Feb-17 19:39:50

Dc1 I was 11 weeks on my wedding day and no one knew. I drank the toast and the reception drink straight after the service. Then sorts after we announced it (that made a cracking speech!!) I had a glass of wine maybe three times between 6 months and delivery.

Dc2 - I had a glass of wine once a month at most throughout.

NapQueen Sun 05-Feb-17 19:40:58

that I would even risk it

what is the actual risk of one glass of wine in a pregnancy, Being?

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Sun 05-Feb-17 19:41:57

Nope, wouldn't risk my babies Health for a drink!

NapQueen Sun 05-Feb-17 19:42:07

Oh! And I went on my hen weekend the day after I found out I was pg with dc1 so I nursed a glass of champagne on night one, and drank a pint of lager shandy on night two. And went on all the rides at altona towers except oblivion as it scares the bejesus out of me.

NapQueen Sun 05-Feb-17 19:42:48

"Then softs after the speech"

kathrynelizabeth3005 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:42:59

I had a few sips of cider at my work xmas party and a couple of sips of beer on Christmas Day!
I'm not a big drinker but do miss having the occasional cider!

WantingBaby1 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:48:41

I haven't, I'm 13 + 4 so barely out of the risky first trimester, but DH is celebrating his 30th in 3 weeks so I might have half a glass of wine. Is the there really a risk in half a glass? I mean half a 125ml, not a large 250.

crombanna Sun 05-Feb-17 19:51:35

I probably have half a glass of wine a week. Or beer, or whatever else I fancy. Occasionally might have the equivalent of 1.5 units over the week. I am an extreme lightweight and have never even felt tipsy - so I know I'm not overdoing it!

Its always with a nice meal, especially at a restaurant.

mowgelijeffs Sun 05-Feb-17 19:55:55

I had probably a glass of wine (small) once a week.

Summerdays2014 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:58:45

I had a glass of prosecco on Christmas Day when I was 9 months pregnant. That was it.

ssssm Sun 05-Feb-17 20:03:00

Not proud to say i had no idea i was pregnant and carried on drinking - and was during the office party season pre xmas. As soon as i knew I was pregnant i stopped until i had finished breast feeding. I now discover i was drinking through the most dangerous (for baby) period. If its any comfort to anyone she's now 22 and a med student so there's that ;)

UnbornMortificado Sun 05-Feb-17 20:04:30

No but I'm stupidly high risk so don't want to tempt fate.

I realise rationally the odd one wouldn't hurt and I wouldn't particularly judge anyone.

mowgelijeffs Sun 05-Feb-17 20:05:16

I'm pretty sure that as long as you're not hammering home the drinks every single day then your baby will be fine.
I hate that I felt I had to justify my position when I had a glass of wine!!!

peppatax Sun 05-Feb-17 20:07:26

I might have a couple on a weekend but might not too. I don't have an issue on the basis I still regularly exercise, eat well and sleep well and there are potentially far greater risks to my baby's health than having a few units.

doubledecker1986 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:08:59

I wouldn't, the sickness wouldn't allow it, but mainly because I wouldn't take any risks.

Supposedly the occasional small drink it's thought to cause harm, but the safest approach is none at all, so that's what I will do.

Sandsnake Sun 05-Feb-17 20:15:00

I had on average a small glass of wine a week, during second and third trimester. I didn't have any alcohol at all in the first trimester (once I was aware I was pregnant). I was happy that research indicated that level of consumption was safe. If I hadn't been, then I would have had no problem abstaining.

GTS Sun 05-Feb-17 20:18:50

yeah a couple here and there. The research is flaky at best, so there will always be those who understandably would rather not risk it...I'm more of the opinion that unless you're a hardened drinker and are regularly getting shitfaced then the odd one now and then won't do any harm.

JessieMillz25 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:21:15

Not since I've known but went on two very boozy holidays while pregnant before I knew so if the damage was done it was far too late.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now