Talk

Advanced search

Lush bath bombs

(20 Posts)
vfoster Sat 04-Feb-17 18:26:34

Hi everyone!
I've had some headaches and auras this week and can't see my midwife until Tuesday.
I've decided to have a warm (not hot) bath and have just been to lush to buy a bath bomb and a bubble bar to try to relax and reduce the headaches a bit!
I've only just thought...are bath bombs safe with essential oils in?
Anyone used them?

Smurf123 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:32:28

I just assumed they were! Hadn't thought of it!!! But would be interested in hearing what others think.

TiltedNewt Sat 04-Feb-17 19:07:24

I did get told there were a couple that I shouldn't use because they contained oils that could bring on labour. But I did wonder how true that was, considering you never see them recommended if you are term.

Blueroses99 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:25:02

Usual advice is to avoid all essential oils during pregnancy.

BaileysAddict Sat 04-Feb-17 19:29:57

I wouldn't! I got a MASSIVE UTI from a Lush Bath Bomb once. Ended up in hospital. Was t even pregnant at the time. I will never ever touch them again.

vfoster Sat 04-Feb-17 19:50:04

I've checked the ingredient list and it only includes ones that are 'safe' in pregnancy.
Not really sure what to do 😬 Was so looking forward to that bath!

GinIsIn Sat 04-Feb-17 19:55:16

I have used them all the way through. 39 weeks now! I asked in the shop and she recommended some specific ones to me.

I think the essential oils thing is a red herring considering it's diluted in a massive volume of water.

vfoster Sat 04-Feb-17 20:01:49

Oh thank you, that makes me feel better! Do you remember which ones she recommended? Did she say any were unsafe?
That makes sense: taking a bath vs using pure oils has to be massively different!

GinIsIn Sat 04-Feb-17 20:10:06

The dragons egg, the butter one, and the bright yellow one that smells like apples were all definitely fine, and the little lavender robots.

PenguinsandPebbles Sat 04-Feb-17 20:11:06

I've checked extensively and have more books on essential oils than you can shake a stick at grin

Oils you would need to avoid are things like rosemary or clarysage, ususally heavy scents.

The likes of lavender, ylang ylang the calming oils (and ones mostly used in bath bombs) are going to be fine. You could check the names on their website (fancy names will be on the labels) but the amount of actual oil will be so small I am sure you will be fine.

Manepartner Sat 04-Feb-17 20:14:51

I wouldn't use them with a sore head because the smell could only ever make your head worse. I wouldn't use them when pregnant because they make the bath horribly slippery.

sweetchilli77 Sat 04-Feb-17 21:16:28

urgh..... my Lush bath bombs have been my only sanity. Im 28 weeks and used all the way through! Ive never heard they shouldn't be used though!

passthewineplz Sat 04-Feb-17 21:25:26

This website lists essential oils that are safe and ones that should be avoided in pregnancy.

naha.org/?/explore-aromatherapy/safety/

If you are suffering from headaches please see your GP, or contact 111 if the headache are severe, and you can't wait to see your GP on Monday.

adlertippa Sun 05-Feb-17 06:57:51

I use a robot bath bomb pretty much every bath time! It's my main pregnancy indulgence, I'd recommend it. Some people won't even have baths in pregnancy so take warnings with a pinch of salt...

Bluebellevergreen Sun 05-Feb-17 07:00:23

I have used them in the third trimester. I have very little else to keep me sane and at least smelling nice helps.
Inducing labour? I wish. 39 weeks and not a peep

Christmasbaby16 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:27:35

I used them and me and my baby were fine.

hmm But a uti from a bath bomb.....how can you be sure that was the cause?!

vfoster Sun 05-Feb-17 10:20:12

I've just made my husband call Lush this morning (think he'd do anything to avoid hormonal rage). And Lush said they will be absolutely fine after the first trimester. They said if we were worried we could just use half of the bath bomb and not to use all of the bubble bar.
After all of this, I remembered last night that I've already used 2 Joules bath fizzles that I got for Christmas. 🙄 So that gives me something to stress over! Feel like I'm constantly stressing recently!

Christmasbaby16 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:08:22

I really wouldn't get yourself worked up over a bath bomb....the stress of worrying over some (trivial) is likely to cause you more harm.. sorry to be blunt but no point in beating about the bush

MissMooMoo Sun 05-Feb-17 16:18:53

25 weeks here and have been using them throughout my pregnancy.

Lunalovepud Sun 05-Feb-17 16:37:45

Firstly, if you are having headaches, seeing lights etc and you are over 20 weeks pregnant, please call your hospital maternity unit now and go in for checks.

Secondly, I don't know if it is because it's my second time around or what but I never would have thought of this - you are a very diligent pregnant lady!

I'm all for erring on the side of caution etc but I am sure that if essential oils were a remotely certain way of starting contractions, overdue women all over the world would be buying them in bulk. I would have been snorting them like Vicks with DC1 - he was in no rush to be worn AT ALL and would probably still be in there given half the chance! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now