Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and dairy free diet

(7 Posts)
SpwJd Fri 03-Feb-17 18:00:20

Hi.
I'm dairy free and have been for the past year or so due to allergy.
It's my First time being pregnant whilst being dairy free.
My worry is , will I be getting enough calcium for baby from food alone?
I eat a fair amount of broccoli and spinach which had it in apparently and drink along and soya milk. I'm eating soya yogurts too.
Any pregnant vegans that could help me with what they recommend to eat ?
Tia

Lucinda15 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:21:37

I had to go dairy free when breastfeeding my son, who was allergic. Totally bamboozled me. If uve been doing it a year hopefully ur a bit more clued up than I was, as I found it really hard to keep my calcium up. But you haven't mentioned alternative milks, do u use them? Almond milk etc?

I'm hindsight I've always wondered why I didn't ask to be referred to dietician for some advice as I actually became quite run down and unwell. Perhaps this is something you could ask ur midwife/GP for?

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Fri 03-Feb-17 19:32:53

Koko coconut milk has the same calcium and vit D as semi skimmed milk if you like the taste otherwise you can get calcium tablets like osteocare

Imaginarymenagerie Fri 03-Feb-17 20:33:36

I'm lactose intolerant so had a similar issue although I'm lucky I can have lactofree stuff. Non dairy sources that I have been going for are almonds (either whole or or as almond milk/almond butter) and dark leafy greens. Beans, figs and sardines are apparently good, but not things I eat a huge amount of.

Scotmum83 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:07:06

I take the centrum for pregnancy multivitamin as it has calcium in it. Also I just buy fortified milk alternatives like alpro almond milk or soya. I asked about it with my first pregnancy but I was never told to take anything extra.

HughLauriesStubble Fri 03-Feb-17 23:12:26

Boots pregnancy vitamins have added calcium, as do the breastfeeding ones. I went dairy free while bfing dd and was having regular bloods for an unrelated matter and my calcium was always fine.

Food wise dark leafy greens and tinned fish are good.

na5ima Fri 03-Feb-17 23:36:59

I'm lactose intolerant and Throughout my pregnancy I only had almond milk. I gave birth to a beautiful healthy boy. My DS is fine with full fat milk.. as long as you have a balanced diet and taking vitamin tabs all should be okay smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now