Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My Dad diagnosed with brain tumour

(8 Posts)
Chloris33 Fri 03-Feb-17 15:43:42

I'm 11 weeks pregnant & my Dad has been diagnosed with brain tumour this week. We don't know what kind of tumour it is yet, but prognosis likely to be less than 5 years, & could be just a year or so. Hard news at any time, but feeling more vulnerable in pregnancy, and I definitely found the postnatal period quite vulnerable too in last pregnancy. I don't want my new child to be born into atmosphere of high stress/grief. Feeling a little overwhelmed, I guess it will take time to process.

flagnogbagnog Fri 03-Feb-17 15:50:01

I'm so sorry. I can totally relate as my dad was diagnosed with Cancer when I was pregnant and died when the baby was less than a year old. It was extra tough, no doubt about it, but also bitter sweet. He got to meet my last child for starters. Also having a baby was something lovely to concentrate on during a really tough period of time.

I truly hope that the tumour turns out to be nothing too serious. If it helps at all, I actually know someone who has two brain tumours which are just sitting there not doing anything sinister. But the situation is monitored regularly.

Sending you hugs and strength x

kathrynelizabeth3005 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:07:45

I'm so sorry. Sending so many hugs to your and your family.

My family got this news just over two years ago and I totally get how stressful and overwhelming it is. My dad ended up having the tumour removed a year ago and it turned out to be non-cancerous. He's making progress but it does take time.

I really hope further tests bring positive news. Brain tumour is such a scary thing to hear but like you say, you aren't sure what kind it is yet.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and hugs x

Kelsey28 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:53:55

I'm sorry OP. My nanny has just been put on end of life care so am feeling all the same things as you. Nothing knew to add just know you aren't alone flowers

Grace1980 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:01:16

I've been in a similar situation too - really awful sad my heart goes out to you. Nothing I can say will make you feel better, but you will get through it. We are often stronger that we think. Sending hugs xxx

celeste84 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:04:13

Both my 8 yr old niece and my 50 yr old cousin have brain tumours at the moment. One can only be treated with chemo and the other is having surgury to remove it. Both with varying side effects.

Chloris33 Sun 05-Feb-17 14:15:52

Hugs to all of you who have gone through/are going through this with loved ones, and thanks for the replies. X

EsmesBees Sun 05-Feb-17 14:21:59

I went through a similar thing with my mum when my DD was 9 months old. You'll be surprised what you can cope with when you have to. Accept all help and don't worry about the baby. The way I looked at it, they won't remember any of this and are great at making you feel better when everything is falling down around you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now