Talk

Advanced search

Kingston or St Georges

(23 Posts)
MiniBump2017 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:52:17

Hi there

Newbie here - just found out I am 5 weeks pregnant and my doctor has told me I can go to Kingston or St Georges

Anyone have any experiences of either? Also should i be worried about not getting into either of them?

Thanks

Gracie17 Thu 02-Feb-17 23:07:40

Had my little girl at St George's in 2014. The labour ward was brilliant but the post natal was very busy and not much support. I wouldn't go to Kingston myself if I had the choice due to personal experience ( not pregnancy related though). Labour ward at St George's could not have been better and although the hospital is in special measures the maternity services were awarded outstanding. Hope that helps!

DoubleR Thu 02-Feb-17 23:12:17

Had both mine at Kingston, can't praise it enough, pre-natal, delivery and post-natal care fantastic both times. I don't know anyone who's had a bad birth experience there ( there may be but I just don't know them iyswim).

DoubleR Thu 02-Feb-17 23:13:29

Sorry, should say mine were in 2009 and 2014.

Lemoncurd Thu 02-Feb-17 23:31:27

After my first (a good few years ago now) I vowed never to go back to Kingston. Really hope it has improved since then.

At that time it was very popular but they were just too busy and didn't have the resources. I was left in second stage labour for over 4 hours, you could tell how anxious the midwife was getting, she kept on trying to get consultants to come but they couldn't. Eventually I was taken to theatre and delivered, although then had a massive PPH (possibly down to the long 2nd stage) and more panic ensued because they didn't have blood ready.

During our stay we were constantly told people would be with us shortly, but it didn't happen. Ended up sleeping on blood soaked sheets and baby in sick covered sheets as we couldn't get hold of more.

On the day I was told I was ready to go home, we kept being told the consultant would see us soon - we were eventually discharged at 1am!!

ohfourfoxache Thu 02-Feb-17 23:33:16

St George's without a shadow of a doubt

JassyRadlett Thu 02-Feb-17 23:39:28

I had mine at Kingston in 2011 and 2015. The first time was fine, on consultant-led ward for labour because of complications which they handled really well. it was just after the refurb so private room afterwards and good postnatal with slightly poorly baby.

2015 was brilliant. Great midwife in the MLU, brilliant postnatal - private room again which is standard.

A friend had a horror story at St George's a few years ago where they totally mismanaged her VBAC and broke all their own guidelines/rules for no other reason than that they were too busy to follow procedure (or even give her a pillow). She ended up with a crash c section and massive complications afterwards, and nearly died. I'm sure it's incredibly rare that that sort of thing happens but that they are so busy all the guidelines can sometimes go out the window really worries me. That said I know others who have raved about their NICU.

ZigAZigAhh Fri 03-Feb-17 07:31:21

Watching with interest - I have been referred to Kingston for DC2 due in August. So far the antenatal care has been brilliant.

Gracie17 Fri 03-Feb-17 07:46:38

The thing is that you will probably find that people have had both good and bad experiences at all large NHS hospitals, as it depends on so many things. Who is your midwife, how busy the wards are, how your birth goes etc. The one thing about St George's is that they are a tertiary centre for NICU, so in the unlikely event that anything goes wrong you are in the best place. If I am lucky enough to have another child, even though I live closer to Kingston now, I will be going to St George's. However as I said that's due to a personal experience in A and E (missed a serious diagnosis in my husband which St George's picked up in minutes) and that is probably luck too to be honest!

DoubleR Fri 03-Feb-17 08:17:07

Gracie17is right OP, you'll find people with good and bad experiences of both. Why don't you book a tour of both places and then go on how you feel from that? In the end everyone's birth experience is unique and being comfortable that you are in a place you trust makes a huge difference.

Lunalovepud Fri 03-Feb-17 16:08:16

St George's are brilliant - saved mine and DCs life and going back there for the second DC without question. Post natal isn't great but I don't think it is anywhere to be honest! Good luck with everything.

MiniBump2017 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:04:18

Thanks for all the replies

Can you really book a tour of the maternity units at St George's or Kingston?

JassyRadlett Sat 04-Feb-17 00:24:31

Kingston you can't, unless it's changed recently.

DoubleR Sat 04-Feb-17 00:25:19

Well you can at Kingston, I assume you can at St Georges, if you look on the website they used to have a virtual tour which I assume is still there. Obviously on a real tour you can only go in a delivery room if it's empty!

DoubleR Sat 04-Feb-17 00:26:51

I've just looked at the Kingston website and it says you can book a tour

Blueroses99 Sat 04-Feb-17 04:16:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lunalovepud Sat 04-Feb-17 08:48:08

St George's maternity has just been rated as good... There are other areas of the hospital that have ratings that are not so great but maternity is not one of those.

Gracie17 Sat 04-Feb-17 09:56:06

Yes the maternity services have been rated outstanding I thought. Hospital as a whole in special measures. But that's largely due to chronic underfunding. I have found A and E to be brilliant.

Mummyme87 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:01:15

No tours at St. George's. Virtual tour online. St. George's hospital is in special measures mainly due to unsuitable buildings. Maternity Was overall good and scored outstanding on some aspects.

Gracie17 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:03:51

Was talking about this with a friend today and there is something to be said for just going to the closest one, especially given the traffic in the area.

Lunalovepud Sat 04-Feb-17 10:30:59

Also OP, asking for reviews and experiences is valuable of course, but people will have different ideas and views on what was good or bad depending on their expectations.

MinnieNoush Sat 04-Feb-17 17:10:00

Kingston was rated one of the highest in the country for maternity care!
Unfortunately they do not do tours anymore which is a shame but I completely respect that as if I was in labour I would not want couples coming round and peering in on me!!

MiniBump2017 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:00:06

Thanks everyone - think it will be Kingston

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now