Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Local anaesthetic

(7 Posts)
jammyjay Thu 02-Feb-17 17:33:10

Hello All,

I have a great big hole in my wisdom tooth that's causing intermittent pain. Finally went to dentist who recommended an extraction under local anaesthetic. I said I'd wait as I'm 3 months pregnant. He said it could be a long wait especially since I could get an abscess and things could get worse in there. Anyway, I have booked for a couple of weeks time.
I just wanted to see if anyone else had had stuff done under local
anaesthetic while pregnant. Dr Google has said it is fine smile
Thanks

babynelly2010 Thu 02-Feb-17 18:56:46

I had local anaesthesia on tooth during my previous pregnancy. I was in my second trimester. In this pregnancy I had local on breast twice one around 16 weeks and another one at 21 weeks to remove cyst. Anesthesiologist said it was fine and does not cross placenta.

livefrommysofa Thu 02-Feb-17 19:22:42

Hi local anaesthetic in dentistry is fine during pregnancy. Just ensure the filling being placed is not an amalgam one (silver) a semi permanent glass ionmer filling should be placed until after birth.

jammyjay Fri 03-Feb-17 20:01:54

Thank you smile

sycamore54321 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:56:11

Just based on my own wisdom tooth extraction experience, can you bring it forward any? If hate to wait weeks mulling over the impending extraction and with the risk of it getting infected etc. I had mine done under local and it was fine. But the thoughts of it were worse!

Dentists are generally hyper cautious in pregnancy and definitely won't recommend any treatment that could be harmful. Amalgam fillings and certain antibiotics for infection are the two major ones to avoid.

SockQueen Fri 03-Feb-17 23:05:28

It's fine. The doses they're using are relatively small and they use adrenaline which reduces the amount that goes into your blood stream. Much better than getting an abscess, which a)is super painful and b)can make you really poorly.

piglet81 Sat 04-Feb-17 08:29:54

Hello, I had a wisdom tooth out with local anaesthetic while pregnant (about 30 weeks - I'd been ignoring it for ages as I am a huge coward about all things dental, and then it went horrible!). It was absolutely fine. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now