Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reason I can give for not drinking on night out with friends?

(56 Posts)
user1484562028 Thu 02-Feb-17 10:11:18

Ok, so tomorrow night we are out with two of our best friends. The plan is to get the train into the city & have cocktails before dinner.

I 100% cannot tell them I am PG, they are family friends and I haven;t told my Parents yet so I can't risk other people in their friendship group finding out before they do.

I am such a cocktail lover though, they are going to guess the minute I don't order a drink sad

Thefishtankneedswater Thu 02-Feb-17 10:12:05

Just make sure you order and ask for yours to be alcohol free.

rosesandcashmere Thu 02-Feb-17 10:12:41

Antibiotics for a tooth infection. Invisible to them, no alcohol for you. You absolutely cannot drink on metronidazole

JoylessFucker Thu 02-Feb-17 10:14:01

Google which anti-biotics are ones you absolutely cannot drink with and say you're taking those.

JaxingJump Thu 02-Feb-17 10:14:07

The thing about being pregnant is that you don't have to tell them. They may well guess but who gives a shit. They will hopefully just have the good manners to wait till you tell them rather than dragging it out. If they ask you straight you just say 'if there is news to tell you I'll tell you' and give them the look. They can think what they like. It's up to you when you tell them. So go, order a soft drink and just tell them whatever (usually obvious) lie you fancy.

JoylessFucker Thu 02-Feb-17 10:14:46

Ah xposted, roses did it better!

HighbrowEyebrow Thu 02-Feb-17 10:18:28

Are they the sort of people who would say to your parents if they noticed you weren't drinking?

If you're married/cohabiting and aged 25-40, no one will believe the antibiotics.

If you know which bar you're going to, look up their menu online and learn the name of a mocktail to order. You might get away with no one realising it's alcohol-free.

Then at the meal blushingly say you might have overdone it on the cocktails and dodge the wine.

Or have some sort of transport issue that necessitates you driving.

Sparklyuggs Thu 02-Feb-17 10:25:05

I went to a wedding at 7 weeks. I said I'd had norovirus during the week, was no longer contagious but still felt dodgy and not up for drinking.

Other one which worked for my friend was she said she had a bad bout of cystitis which had developed into a bladder infection so doctor had said no alcohol until it cleared up.

doubledecker1986 Thu 02-Feb-17 10:26:37

Antibiotics is so obvious, everyone uses that and it makes it crystal clear.

Depends how you are being served? Table service or bar?

If bar, try to order alone or just make sure you order quietly so nobody even knows what's in your glass.

Table, go to the loo and nip to the bar and speak to whoever is looking after your table. Explain you are off alcohol but can't be bothered with friends mithering about it. Ask that they just bring you mocktails or an alcohol free version of whatever you ask for in front of your friends.

Or you could say you have a stinking hangover after a couple of bottles of wine last night with a friend they don't know.

The key is not making a big song and dance about it. People probably won't even care what's in your glass or notice, but it's always the ones that make it into a drama that get caught out wink

KoolKoala07 Thu 02-Feb-17 10:29:23

Text them now, say you've been poorly with a bug for a day or 2. You're feeling much better now, so should be ok for tommrow night but tummy still a bit delicate so going to lay off the alcohol.

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 02-Feb-17 10:33:00

you could say that you are on anti-biotics or just tell them that you've had a bad stomach and don't feel like drinking, or just order mocktails and don't let them know you aren't drinking. congratulations on your good news smile

user1484562028 Thu 02-Feb-17 10:34:53

Thanks for the advice everyone. They aren't likely to tell my parents but they might mention it to theirs and they are my parents BF's. I would hate for their parents to know before my parents.

The mocktail order is a great idea if I can be the one at the bar! smile

The being ill previously & feeling a bit worse for wear is also a good one I think. Like some have said, I don't know if they will buy the antibiotics one as they know we have been considering trying for a baby.

Basically, I think they will guess but I wont confirm & I just hope that they can keep quiet and not blab to family !

I can just imagine my mom telling their mom once she finds out & her making a snide comment about already knowing...! Worst nightmare for my mom.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Thu 02-Feb-17 10:35:31

I had a bad experience recently with a colleague spiking my drink. Some people refuse to take no for an answer where alcohol is concerned, so I would be very careful, OP. I'd take the advice in thefish's answer and make sure you order your own drinks.

blueskyinmarch Thu 02-Feb-17 10:39:15

I can recall when newly pregnant with my first going to visit good friends. We were just in the door and my friend offered me a G&T. In the split second that i hesitated she looked at me like hmm and said ‘you’ll be pregnant then’ and gave me a soft drink. You will be fooling no-one. grin

usedtobeagreatteacher Thu 02-Feb-17 10:52:46

Arrive very early and ask the staff for a mocktail that looks exactly like something else on the menu (same glass and trimmings) order a couple, neck one and start sipping the second as the others arrive. Make that one last then ask for a soft drink as you are feeling bit tipsy.

FrizzBombDelight Thu 02-Feb-17 11:03:29

Maybe the dr suggested to cut out alcohol/ generally get healthier while you are trying and so you'd really like their support in helping you do so?

TheLivingAsheth Thu 02-Feb-17 11:06:22

I second the bladder infection idea. I have an inflamed bladder and alcohol makes it much worse. Coffee too. You could be recovering, so well enough to go out, but alcohol will set you right back.

When I was pregnant I did "ooh I drank such a lot last night I just can't face it today" but that didn't work the time I went out with the same friend two nights in a row!

TheLivingAsheth Thu 02-Feb-17 11:07:30

I also said to people who went "ooh no alcohol are you pregnant" "If I was, I wouldn't be able to tell you."

languagelearner Thu 02-Feb-17 11:09:59

The noro virus seems the best to me.

JustAnotherPoster00 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:10:49

You could actually tell your parents before you go out with them!?

languagelearner Thu 02-Feb-17 11:11:42

Then you ask if they want to take a sip out of your glass... Hundred to one they don't want to... ;-)

Hollyhop17 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:41:12

I told my friends who knew we were trying that the GP had suggested we cut out booze. That worked a treat the few times I saw them before telling them I was pregnant.

MarklahMarklah Thu 02-Feb-17 11:45:46

It has just been dry January. A couple of my friends have said they've done it and are continuing with it. Not sure how convincing an excuse it would be, depends on when you last saw the friends and whether you were drinking then.

Ouriana Thu 02-Feb-17 11:55:01

When I worked behind a bar I had a few people tell me they were pregnant but wanted it to look like they were drinking so they would choose a drink no one else was having and Id make that alcohol free all night.

One of the first people I told I was pregnant was a barmaid who served me vodka free vodka and cokes all night!

If the bar isnt too busy its worth a try, also if you do get a drink with alcohol you can always complain it tastes odd and swop it for a mocktail at the bar.

LikeTheShoes Thu 02-Feb-17 11:58:46

Tell them you've just joined AA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now