Talk

Advanced search

Been put under consultant led care?

(14 Posts)
millyhopemum Wed 01-Feb-17 22:27:35

Hi all,

Just recieved a letter today saying i am to attend the hospital in 2 weeks time ( ill be 17+4) to see the consultant there. And that my pregnancy will be shared with them and the mife.
Dont say why and just says bring any medication i may be taking.

I remember the midwife saying i may be put under consultant care if they feel the need but she couldnt see it happening.

I do have a BMI of over 30 and a lot of medical family history. She put me on 75mg of asprin a day to reduce my risk of pre-eclampsia. Could this be why they want to see me? my weight and risks?

Kind of freaked me out they havent said why. i had a scan at 14 weeks and the sonographer said he was happy with what he saw and heard so i hope its not about bean.

Have any of you guys been put under consult care? or think why i might be?

thanks xx

Womble75 Wed 01-Feb-17 22:32:18

Try not to worry - could be any number of reasons. Age, BMI, previous health conditions etc. Different trusts have different criteria on referral.
In London I was referred purely on BMI. Quick appt to see consultant and never saw him again.
This time different trust in Hampshire, referred due to age and a medical condition I have been diagnosed with since last pregnancy. BMI never mentioned!
I'd try not to worry too much - do you have a midwife or birth centre you could call to just ask why? It wouldn't be anything to do with the baby as they would have told you.

millyhopemum Wed 01-Feb-17 22:39:14

thanks womble75, i do have a midwife i can text and ask, i spoke to her the other day (somethimg unrelated) and she didnt say anythimg about this. She was the one that said she didnt think i needed it but i guess theres no harm asking.
Its just came as a shock lol.
I have been booked for a GTT much later in the pregnancy, so i think its all probs going to be precautions of risks etc..

Ill try not to think about it over the next two weeks...lol

Womble75 Wed 01-Feb-17 23:10:02

GTT tests are very common. I've had them both pregnancies.
Honestly I wouldn't worry too much. Look at it as extra care and the fact you and your baby are being taken care of 😊
I've only seen my consultant once and I'm 32 weeks lol - I'm seeing him again at 38 weeks so not a regular occurrence. They are (usually) very matter of fact and will discuss any medical concerns, book extra scans if needed and generally just make sure you get the best care you need. Try to relax.

Sparklyuggs Wed 01-Feb-17 23:26:35

I suspect that there are criteria and targets in each area, so some places automatically refer if your BMI is over 30 etc.

I felt like my mw was keen to refer me to the consultant, she added up points during my booking in appt and it seemed like I was borderline score for referring. I'm happy either way as long as I get good care.

millyhopemum Wed 01-Feb-17 23:31:00

Thanks guys.
I do feel better knowing it can be quite common.
Yer i guess ill look at it that its extra care for us and thats the main thing.
I do feel more relaxed now 😏

haveacupoftea Wed 01-Feb-17 23:55:09

I've been referred for BMI over 30 and found the consultant was fine. In my experience, the midwives talk about lifestyle choices and will talk you through scans etc but the consultant just looks at the scan, says yep thats ok, and sends you on your way with a prescription if you need it. Nothing to be afraid of at all.

HaylJay Thu 02-Feb-17 00:03:13

It could be a range of things
are you taking any medication at all or suffering mental health illnesses ?
I was referred due to suffering with depression, I only had to attend once and was discharged as they were satisfied I didn't need any extra help at the time.
My sister was also referred when she was pregnant because she has a phobia of blood tests so they needed to give her extra care due to not receiving blood samples
Honestly don't worry about it they're just there to check everything's okay and offer help if it's needed for you 😊
Wishing you all the best.

drinkyourmilk Thu 02-Feb-17 07:26:52

I'm a first time mum at 39, will be 40 when baby is born. Baby was conceived through ivf and I've a high bmi. Up until I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes I wasn't classed as high risk and was midwife led. I had to fight to get a consultant appointment as I was concerned about going overdue.
2 other ladies I know are in a different trust and were both automatically sent consultant appointments as they have ivf pregnancies. it's a postcode lottery.
Unless there are concerns about your health or the babies health you will most likely be discharged, and the appointment is just routine to ensure that any possible risks have been discussed.

millyhopemum Fri 03-Feb-17 20:11:50

Thannks guys.
Sorry for late reply im in the process of l
moving and i have terrible baby brain right now. lol.
Ive since spoken with my midwife and she says its more likely to do with my BMI and not to worry. its just mandatory to be seen in my area if you have a high BMI. which makes me so much better x

Xmasbaby11 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:13:23

I was consultant led due to high bmi and thyroid problems. It doesn't really make much difference - just a couple of extra appointments.

Laura2507 Sat 04-Feb-17 21:30:17

I had my 12wk antenatal and am consultant led, didn't know why as on booking in my risk score was only 2 and midwife said I would be midwife led.
Anyway I asked the consultant and she said it was a combination of things, so sounds likes each factor on its own isn't a concern but if you have a few things then you could be consultant led. She did say they can downgrade later if all ok.
My factors were ivf, bmi 32 and being on antidepressants.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 04-Feb-17 23:14:07

'Waves to milk and womble'

Hi op. I'm consultant led. Varies reasons

Geratric 🙄😉 I'm 43
Ivf baby - 5th attempt and first bfp
First baby over 40
Dvt 10yrs ago
Cone biopsy 20yrs ago

So had cervical length checks since 12/13w every few weeks

Length is fine now and stopped checking at 24w

Being consultant led is fab imo

I get scanned every 3w and see consultant for a chat after

Just means I can't have a water birth or home birth x

MabelTheCow Sat 04-Feb-17 23:15:01

I had a consultant appointment as I have a BMI over 30. Wasn't much fun but as long as there are no other problems in the pregnancy, we get an extra growth scan at 34 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now