Talk

Advanced search

House Move Imminent - when is best, before or after birth?

(6 Posts)
fluffyslippers Mon 26-Feb-07 16:16:15

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice from anyone who's been in a similar position or knows people that have been....
I'm 29 weeks pregnant with my first baby, we put our house on the market expecting it to take a few months to sell and it has actually only taken 2 weeks - we have accepted an offer on ours and found somewhere for us to move to and it looks like things could move very quickly being a very short chain.
We will be moving out of the area (about 35 miles away) and I don't know what to do for the best. Bearing in mind it will probably take around 8/9 weeks for everything to go through,should we push to move before the due date (when I will be around 37/38 weeks) OR would it be best to wait until after baby arrives and move in the first 2-3 weeks after the birth? At what point would you suggest not considering moving before the birth?
If we move beforehand I will have to change hospital/midwife etc... and I don't know how difficult this is, but if we move afterwards I will have a newborn to cope with (and the sleepless nights).
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, it's just really difficult to know what to do.

Thanks,
Ali x

beckybrastraps Mon 26-Feb-07 16:19:43

I moved a month (about 250 miles) before ds was born, and again when he was 6 months old, and it was definitely easier to do it pregnant than with a small baby. And 2-3 weeks after his birth I was fit for nothing.

But 37/38 weeks is cutting it a bit fine. I would really hassle your solicitors for a quick move if I were you. It can be done quicker than 8 weeks if things are straightforward.

Bucketsofdynomite Mon 26-Feb-07 21:20:10

Due dates aren't the most reliable things though are they? You could delay it and still find yourself in labour on move day. I would just push for ASAP and keep my legs crossed, would hate not to be in charge on moving day.
I assume that you can turn up at any maternity dept in labour and they'll 'sort you out'.

fluffyslippers Tue 27-Feb-07 10:16:51

Looks like everyone's pushing for a very quick move, so may be out of my control!

I hope I can change hospital easily enough -am currently booked in for consultant led maternity unit and where I'm moving is midwife led which I find a bit scarey....

Nothing like taking all the stressful things on at once!

Ali
29+2

Lilliput Tue 27-Feb-07 10:23:04

I moved house 2 weeks before I was due to have a home birth. I spent move day just pointing where I wanted things as people daren't let me lift a finger .
When the nesting instinct kicks in you'll get everything unpacked!

fluffyslippers Tue 27-Feb-07 10:24:39

Lilliput - it's good to hear someone's been there and done that! All I get from friends here is telling me how crazy I am - perhaps so, but what can I do?

Ali

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now