Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

House Move Imminent - when is best, before or after birth?

(6 Posts)
fluffyslippers Mon 26-Feb-07 16:16:15

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice from anyone who's been in a similar position or knows people that have been....
I'm 29 weeks pregnant with my first baby, we put our house on the market expecting it to take a few months to sell and it has actually only taken 2 weeks - we have accepted an offer on ours and found somewhere for us to move to and it looks like things could move very quickly being a very short chain.
We will be moving out of the area (about 35 miles away) and I don't know what to do for the best. Bearing in mind it will probably take around 8/9 weeks for everything to go through,should we push to move before the due date (when I will be around 37/38 weeks) OR would it be best to wait until after baby arrives and move in the first 2-3 weeks after the birth? At what point would you suggest not considering moving before the birth?
If we move beforehand I will have to change hospital/midwife etc... and I don't know how difficult this is, but if we move afterwards I will have a newborn to cope with (and the sleepless nights).
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, it's just really difficult to know what to do.

Thanks,
Ali x

beckybrastraps Mon 26-Feb-07 16:19:43

I moved a month (about 250 miles) before ds was born, and again when he was 6 months old, and it was definitely easier to do it pregnant than with a small baby. And 2-3 weeks after his birth I was fit for nothing.

But 37/38 weeks is cutting it a bit fine. I would really hassle your solicitors for a quick move if I were you. It can be done quicker than 8 weeks if things are straightforward.

Bucketsofdynomite Mon 26-Feb-07 21:20:10

Due dates aren't the most reliable things though are they? You could delay it and still find yourself in labour on move day. I would just push for ASAP and keep my legs crossed, would hate not to be in charge on moving day.
I assume that you can turn up at any maternity dept in labour and they'll 'sort you out'.

fluffyslippers Tue 27-Feb-07 10:16:51

Looks like everyone's pushing for a very quick move, so may be out of my control!

I hope I can change hospital easily enough -am currently booked in for consultant led maternity unit and where I'm moving is midwife led which I find a bit scarey....

Nothing like taking all the stressful things on at once!

Ali
29+2

Lilliput Tue 27-Feb-07 10:23:04

I moved house 2 weeks before I was due to have a home birth. I spent move day just pointing where I wanted things as people daren't let me lift a finger .
When the nesting instinct kicks in you'll get everything unpacked!

fluffyslippers Tue 27-Feb-07 10:24:39

Lilliput - it's good to hear someone's been there and done that! All I get from friends here is telling me how crazy I am - perhaps so, but what can I do?

Ali

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: