Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

6 weeks pregnant - what happens next

(8 Posts)
user1484562028 Wed 01-Feb-17 16:00:30

I took a pregnancy test a few weeks back & another last week to confirm. I am 6 weeks 2 days I believe. Called the Dr's and had an appointment today. Dr gave me a pregnancy pack, took my blood pressure and weight & told me the midwife would be in touch. How soon would that contact normally take?

I keep seeing people say they had a scan at 8 weeks but everything I have always thought was the first scan at 12 weeks. Basically I'm just wondering what sort of timeline the midwife / scans work to.

We are off on holiday to the USA at 13 weeks and I would love to have my first scan a few weeks before that just in case it's bad news so I can have a bit of time to come to terms with the results.

Choccyhobnob Wed 01-Feb-17 16:20:15

Booking in appointments tend to be between 8-10 weeks and then your scan arranged for about 12 weeks. People have early scans if they either have a history of miscarriage or if they pay for a private one (which we did at 8 weeks as we were too impatient and I didn't have any symptoms so didn't quite believe it was true!)

EssentialHummus Wed 01-Feb-17 16:25:23

Same as choccy, but in my area (S. London) booking in can be as late as 12 weeks too. (I'm not sure why, they may just be overstretched.)

Congrats flowers

user1485706893 Wed 01-Feb-17 16:37:08

You have a scan at 12 weeks unless something iffy is suspected. 12 weeks is the dating scan, any earlier and it's usually to rule things out. However I do know women that have book private scans around 8 weeks.

Helbelle75 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:13:52

First midwife appointment (booking in) is 8 weeks here.
We had a private scan at 10 weeks die to previous mmc.
12 week scan was around 12+6 for me, but I got the appointment through at about 9 weeks.

Pandabear123 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:30:50

Scan should be around 12 weeks. I was out of the country weeks 13-15 and left it until my 10 week meeting to book my scan - I was lucky to get in at 11weeks +4. Might be worth letting your midwife know ASAP when you are away so she can push for a scan by 12 weeks. You should hear from your midwife with a date for your first meeting within a few days/ a week I would think. I left mine for 2 weeks and found out she had been trying to grt hold of me on a wrong number!

user1484562028 Thu 02-Feb-17 08:50:32

Thanks all, I guess i'll let the midwife know asap that we are traveling & hope the scan can be booked in before hand.

Donnaesi16 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:09:57

Hi ladies im hoping to see if you people cab give me some sort of hope im 7 week been bleeding for almost 2 weeks lost two blood clots i had a scan last week their was a heartbeat and i went today everything was still their just no heartbeat this time but my hcg levels are still rising anyone experienced this that could help let me kinda know if this is a miscarriage ive had 3 miscarriages already but nothink like this

Many thanks donna xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now