Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Accidental alcohol consumption in first trimester

(7 Posts)
Jars11 Wed 01-Feb-17 14:15:46

Hi girls, i've tried googling some advice on this but i'm not really feeling reassured by anything. I know the jury's out on alcohol during pregnancy, but i haven't had a drink as such. I'm 7 weeks gone and i've just noticed one of my regular chocolate desserts has alcohol in it, i'm lactose intolerant so i'm always looking at ingredients in things, but i never thought this free from milk chocolate mousse would have alcohol in it. I've been eating them every couple weeks probably since conception, and since i spotted it i've been racked with guilt and feeling so horrendous. What are your thoughts on how serious this is? Obviously i won't be having any more and will be more vigilant about ingredients, but i just want to know if i have possibly caused any damage to my baby so early on in its development. I've been taking all the dietry reccomendations during pregnancy so seriously which is why this has shaken me quite a bit. Any advice from mums would be so so appreciated, thank you.

Doje Wed 01-Feb-17 14:17:54

You and your baby will be fine. Please don't worry over such a tiny quantity of alcohol!

Congratulations!

DaisyQueen Wed 01-Feb-17 14:20:57

Exactly what Doje said

frenchfancy Wed 01-Feb-17 14:22:08

Don't even think about it. Many mothers don't even know they are pg at 7 wks and drink as normal. When I was pg with my eldest drinking a glass of wine was considered ok.

Anatidae Wed 01-Feb-17 14:24:21

Absolutely fine. Tiny tiny amount in such a dessert. It's probably a tiny fraction of a unit, and will be metabolised by you quickly - trace amounts at most will reach the baby.

For context, fresh orange juice and yoghurt are capable of containing up to 0.5% alcohol. Don't worry smile

Jars11 Wed 01-Feb-17 14:31:30

Thank you so much for the reassurance. You worry when you want to make sure you're looking after your baby as much as humanly possible. And it freaked me out more that the ingredient was literally just 'alcohol' and i was thinking what the hell kind of alcohol even is it?!

mistermagpie Wed 01-Feb-17 14:38:57

With DS I drank shed loads of alcohol in the first couple of weeks because I didn't know I was pregnant, he turned out fine. The Dr told me that because the placenta isn't up and running until about 10 weeks or so and the baby just lives off it's yolk sac, then the baby isn't actually getting the alcohol from you anyway at that point. he might just have been trying to make a neurotic pregnant woman feel better though...

This pregnancy I haven't drank at all, but had plenty of mince pies with alcohol in them at christmas. I figures that if the shops can sell them without them being an 'age restricted' product then the amount of alcohol in them must be miniscule. There is probably more alcohol in mouthwash than in your deserts to be honest. I really wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now