Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Eeeek - positive pregnancy test!

(10 Posts)
MissSlinky Wed 01-Feb-17 13:42:57

Hi there,

I'm new to mumsnet. I'm 35 and don't have any kids (yet!). My man and I started trying at the start of the year & yesterday I got a clear blue early detection pregnancy test as I was three days late - a positive! Did another this morning - an even bolder positive. Eeeeeeekkkkkkkk! I'm so excited and utterly terrified at the same time smile

I had been saying to my man, it's going to take ages to get pregnant, might not happen at all at my age etc...then two goes at the right time and a positive test. I know I shouldn't get too excited, might miscarry or something but it's hard not to get excited. I've been wanting a child for years and hormones have been beyond crazy. Literally - sometimes if I walked down the street and saw a woman with a pram, I'd start crying - just thought it would never happen, plus I do have crazy hormones.

I've got a doctors appointment on Friday morning to see what the next steps are - as I don't have a Scooby about this pregnancy malarky. Think the man is stunned - I told him he must have super sperm lol - we are both really fit and healthy, neither of us smoke, he doesn't drink and I was on Dry January, so maybe that helped? Although I've been looking forward to a drink ALL month and now I think I'll just have to stay off it!

Can I tell my mum - only people that know are one friend and the man. I really want to tell my mum, she might freak but I need her support! Too early??

xx

mummabubs Wed 01-Feb-17 13:59:26

Congratulations!! I'm younger but like yourself I'd also thought it would take a while to conceive and then first month we tried, boom! Got my BFP last Friday and am already thinking of telling my family. I'd asked about people's experience of telling loved ones before 12 weeks in a recent thread and people have been really helpful and supportive in pointing out that it's whatever feels right to you smile Me for example, I'd prefer my family to already know I'd been pregnant if I then miscarried at a later date. Just do what feels best for you! X

MissSlinky Wed 01-Feb-17 14:06:47

Thanks mummabubs and congratulations to you too! I don't know all the wee abbrieviations - BFP?? I think I'm with you on that - I think I'd need my families support if I had a miscarriage so I think I may tell them.

Is this going to be your first? Congratulations to you & your man! x

Pandabear123 Wed 01-Feb-17 15:33:37

Congratulations!! Very exciting for you smile I told.my.family at 6 weeks with my first and told my mum the day after I did my test for the 2nd (as we had been trying a while for this this one!). Good luck with everything, fingers crossed for a smooth pregnancy smile

thecatsarecrazy Wed 01-Feb-17 15:35:25

Congratulations. I remember feeling like you. Took 2goes to conceive number 3, I was 34 then 35 now. Amazed how quickly it happened and he's here now.

Finola1step Wed 01-Feb-17 15:43:12

Welcome to Mumsnet and congratulations on your pregnancy flowers.

Tell your Mum if you want to. There are no rules on that one. Many people wait until the 12 week scan to go fully public but that doesn't have to include your own mum.

When you go to the GP, be prepared for very little to be said and done. At most, a referral to your midwife team. Maybe a referral for 12 week scan. But it will feel rather underwhelming.

And midwives are not that interested in you until much, much later in your pregnancy.

Use the Pregnancy board in here as a source of advice. But it is now a big waiting game.

roseteapot101 Wed 01-Feb-17 15:55:44

Congratulations ,when i was pregnant with my daughter we told the grandparents when we got our scan picture.That way we knew everything was ok

Stuffedshirt Wed 01-Feb-17 16:00:14

Congratulations. We told immediate family first and then everyone else after 12 months. flowers

MissSlinky Wed 01-Feb-17 16:14:15

Thanks everyone! smile

I think I need to tell my mum, I think I need her support.

Finola1step - that's good to know - I'm not expecting much - I have an underlying health condition that needs to be discussed with regards to the pregnancy as well though, so I need to go.

Stuffedshirt - I can't stop laughing at that - did you have an invisible baby?- "told everyone else after 12 months" teeheee - typo I know! smile

A big waiting game indeed - I almost want to fast forward to week 12-14! Sure everyone is the same x x

Stuffedshirt Wed 01-Feb-17 16:20:49

LOL yes, 12 weeks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now