Talk

Advanced search

Worried about telling bully boss

(10 Posts)
Burgerandchips Wed 01-Feb-17 12:34:43

Dear all,

I'm only just pregnant which was unplanned but welcomed following a previous miscarriage last year. I started a new job this December which is covering Mat leave for one year. The lady now on leave has had loads of abuse in a "joking" way from our boss which I witnessed before she left about causing so many issues leaving when she has been employed for 6yrs there !!
I have also had difficulty with my boss with regards to a bug I had early Jan. Everyone in the team is scared of her and she sometimes brings weaker staff to tears.
I am basically useless now I that I am preg myself covering for someone else as I get very sick, I already feel sick now and not able to face work tommorow. My boss also sometimes declines parents having an hour leave for Children's GP appts.
I'm really anxious about telling her but if I am getting signed off sick when it gets to 5 days I won't be able to avoid it. Please help sad

birdling Wed 01-Feb-17 15:36:42

Unfortunately if you can, you will need to work through the sickness as much as possible. It's horrible and I do sympathise, but just feeling sick isn't enough to be off work sad

xStefx Wed 01-Feb-17 15:40:40

I was signed off work for extreme sickness. I had lost 22 lb in 1 month from being sick so yes you can be off and yes its a genuine thing. People wont recognise it unless they have had it, Unfortunately I lost so much weight I had a fit and my baby died so take it seriously, A doctors note will explain what you need to explain if you need to be off and if your uncomfortable then ask for another member of staff to be in the room then she cant bully you.

thethoughtfox Wed 01-Feb-17 15:42:50

I sympathise with bullying behaviour but surely you can see that a new member of staff being off sick doesn't make the best first impression even if it is genuine. Also, I have never hear of people being given time off to take their children for doctor's appointments and would not expect it.

birdling Wed 01-Feb-17 16:10:28

Obviously extreme sickness is a different matter ......

Burgerandchips Wed 01-Feb-17 17:13:27

Usually you would be allowed the leave if you made the time back. I understand about new staff but sometimes people get unwell you can't help being sick new into a job. I am already throwing up I don't think it's reasonable to be at work if throwing up multiple times a day?

xStefx Wed 01-Feb-17 17:51:32

It's a crap situation , I felt awful letting my employers down so often but at the end of the day my health and the baby came first. Sometimes the worry and guilt of knowing you are going to have to call in sick and knowing their reaction was enough to make me feel really anxious and made it worse. if you feel like you can manage it then try, but please don't try to push yourself if you can't it's not worth it xx

jcne Fri 03-Feb-17 17:48:51

keep a record. my bullying lunatic of a boss has just been quietly sacked for doing this to me - i raised a grievance which has been upheld.

start taking detailed notes now inc witnesses- believe me it's so easy to forget.

PotteringAlong Fri 03-Feb-17 17:51:31

My boss also sometimes declines parents having an hour leave for Children's GP appts

As she is perfectly entitled to do. That's not an example of bullying behaviour.

millyhopemum Fri 03-Feb-17 21:30:33

She has no right to treat you or anyone else different when pregnant. Or when sick.
Or a matter of fact bring anyone to tears.
She is rightfully what you call her...a bully.
She cant fire you for being pregnant, change your hours or pay or treat you unkindly because of your new situation. You have the power over your boss now and personally i would report her if you feel you are being treated unfairly when she you tell her.
You dont need all this crap when your feeling sick, poor thing.
Chin up hun, tell her when your ready but take the time off if you need it. The doctor will agree, yours and the babys health will come first.
good luck and congrats xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now