Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ivf success

(19 Posts)
user1485937218 Wed 01-Feb-17 08:24:02

Hi Ladies

I've just found out that my first IVF cycle has failed and I'm feeling pretty low about it as I really thought (despite the odds) that it would have been successful. I had one blastocyst frozen that was average-good quality and I'm wondering whether it would be better for me to start a fresh cycle later in the year? Has anyone had any success stories with frozen blastocysts of that quality or second cycles? I'm trying to feel positive but it's hard

FeelingForSnow Wed 01-Feb-17 16:56:05

Yes. We did our first cycle and got BFP but ended in week 5.

There is an opinion that frozen cycles tend to be more successful due to less stress on your ovaries and your body in general.

Some clinics now offer freeze all trials. Meaning that you freeze all your collected eggs and do not go ahead with the transfer and do the frozen transfer as soon as you are ready (emotionally and have had your period after stims and collection).

Also, i would not be worried about what you called average quality blasts. Different clinics have different ratings. Some clinics rate them tougher than others.
As long as it is a blast it is a very good embryo.

I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with our 2BB frozen blast.

Don't give up and if I was you, I would try frozen transfer before doing another fresh cycle.

Frozen cycles are a lot easier.
xxx

Bear2014 Wed 01-Feb-17 17:15:31

Sorry to hear that flowers

I would definitely go for a FET before another fresh. I'm currently 12 weeks with a frozen 'early' blast, so not great quality, and my sister is currently 5 weeks with a blast from their failed cycle in the summer. Good luck!

chloechloe Wed 01-Feb-17 22:43:39

Sorry to hear your sad news, but it's positive that you have two blasts from your cycle!

I am lucky enough to have 2 babies from one IVF/ICSI cycle. They were both FETs - after my fresh cycle they had to freeze all embryos as I was at risk of OHSS.

My clinic actually had higher success rates for FETs than fresh cycles. The theory is that your body has more time to recover and only the strongest embryos survive the freezing process making them more likely to result in pregnancy.

I would definitely go ahead with an FET before another fresh transfer. Bear in mind though that the embryo may not survive the "defrost". On our first attempt we defrosted 4 and 2 survived. On the second we defrosted 2 and 1 survived. They were frozen at day 1 though, so blastocysts may have a higher survival rate, I don't know. I hope my saying this isn't too upsetting, but I think it's best to be prepared that you may not get to transfer.

I agree with snow not to get hung up on the quality rating. My clinic didn't grade embryos. My first baby was an early blast and the second a blast. Both led to babies, the only difference being that I tested positive a day earlier with the second one.

Whatever you decide I wish you lots of luck.

DaftOne Thu 02-Feb-17 03:04:04

Hello! I had to reply to this. Last summer I was feeling at my absolute lowest ebb after failed IVF. I too really believed I'd be successful and that it would be the end of a long hard journey. When it failed I felt "that's it, it's not happening for us". But I did soon feel like having another try and a lovely supportive nurse at the clinic encouraged me to try a natural FET (no drugs, just monitoring with ov sticks and then the transfer timed to your body's own cycle). It was SO easy compared to everything the fresh round entailed and I am now 22 weeks pregnant. I don't know if it was just a numbers game or if the FET genuinely was less stress on my body... No way to know but FETs DO work! I know I'm lucky but just wanted to encourage you as that weekend after my failed round was so bleak - I just cried and stared into space for two days solid, I was so hormonal and disappointed. But for me it was the darkest hour before the dawn and things took a turn for the better soon after. I will NEVER forget the pain of infertility and failed IVF. Be good to yourself, recuperate and when you're ready try a FET and I wish you the very best of luck with it!

DaftOne Thu 02-Feb-17 03:08:05

PS Just in response to chloe, from what my clinic said you'd be very unlucky for a blast not to survive the thaw - they practically always make it. Sorry chloe you had to go through the disappointment of those younger embryos not surviving.

SuziC1984 Thu 02-Feb-17 07:37:24

Hey there, I know how you feel too as this happened to us, I've had a FET and am currently 28'weeks pregnant! I really wish you the best of luck, don't give up xx

chloechloe Thu 02-Feb-17 08:00:55

daft Good to know that blasts have a better "defrost" rate smile

Also as the others have said, an FET is so different to a fresh cycle, it just doesn't have the same emotional toll as there are no injections and no long run up. I had both of my FETs on a medicated cycle (have PCOS so my hormone levels are a mess). I just had to take a pill every day and then go in for a couple of scans to see when I would ovulate.

PineapplePunch Thu 02-Feb-17 08:05:25

Sorry to hear about your failed cycle.
My clinic only offered fet to me as I have pcos.
I had a 5 day blastocyst transferred 5 months after egg collection and it was successful.
Good luck for whatever you decide.

user1485937218 Thu 02-Feb-17 08:13:25

Thank you for all your kind words and positive messages, 85 has definitely made me feel more optimistic that isn't the end for us and hat it may just take us a bit longer. I will definitely speak to the clinic about using our frozen blast. I think we were also so surprised at how quickly the embryos went - I had 9 eggs and on day 1 9 were fertilised but it soon went down to 2 by transfer day. I'm lucky that I still have one more to try and feel thankful for that.

Thank you all for the support it honestly has made me feel a bit better. I hope all your pregnancies go well ☺️It's inspiring!

Xxxx

Chintaria Thu 02-Feb-17 08:28:43

Sorry to hear your news user, IVF is so very difficult emotionally. We had other problems so it took five cycles for us (just about everyone else I know who did IVF was successful way before that!!) but dd was a frozen blastocyst that I was going to ask them not to bother putting in as I was that convinced there wasn't a chance. They said we had to use the frostie before being allowed another fresh cycle & I was convinced it was a waste of time and just discounted the 2ww. Lo and behold it worked!! I have heard since then that frosties can make stronger embryos purely because they've made it through the deep freeze & out again.
Good luck, will keep everything crossed for you 😊

FeelingForSnow Thu 02-Feb-17 10:10:32

To add to all positive stories - some studies show that frozen embryos make it to healthier and stronger babies.

With info and experience I have today I would have gone for an all freeze option if offered when we went through it.

The only reason to go ahead with the transfer is because you can - you are ready-ish and the embryo is there and why waste the chance, right?

But I believe I would have saved myself a lot of heartache, tears and also our best blast which was hatching already at the time.
xxx

Nan0second Thu 02-Feb-17 10:18:30

Missed miscarriage with our brilliant quality blast at 8 weeks.
Our average frozen blast is now a 20month tear away beautiful funny DD...

chloechloe Thu 02-Feb-17 12:26:20

One more thing - try not to get hung up on the numbers. Quality is more important than quantity and it only takes one!

TipBoov Thu 02-Feb-17 12:39:36

I had a successful pregnancy with a frozen blastocyst, it was a b grade, so don't worry too much about grades.

ceara Thu 02-Feb-17 12:51:22

I'm sorry you had bad news from your cycle. Something my clinic said stuck with me - that it's best to look on IVF as a course of up to 3 cycles because the first one is more likely than not to fail but the cumulative odds are better. Your clinic will have learnt more from the first cycle, too, about how you respond to the drugs etc. And the fact you got to blast is a hopeful sign. So don't lose heart.

I'm yet another whose first cycle was unsuccessful despite having a "perfect" blast. The not so great looking one, which was frozen and transferred 3 months later, just had his 3rd birthday.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 02-Feb-17 14:43:42

3 fresh cycles failed. 1&2 had none left to freeze. Same clinic in uk

3 abroad and higher drugs icsi and their technology and got 6 to freeze. This cycle failed

4 fet failed

Had era which is a mick fet cycle and checks lining etc and advise if ha 3 failed ivf

5 fet from cycle 3 and is 'bubs' currently 32w preg

I agree that frozen seem better. And if they defrost well

Sure saw stats somewhere that fet success rate is slightly higher then fresh

Fet is so much simpler and less stress on body

And Cheaper then fresh / much !!!

Def worth trying your fet before new fresh cycle

The grading doesn't always mean something

My 3&4 attempts were 5&6 day high quality and failed. Think 5aa and 6ab

My friends 2 low grade day 3 think was cc and told would implant but not to expect much and now 11yr twins

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Thu 02-Feb-17 14:52:56

There's evidence to suggest FET is more effective than fresh cycles. Certainly the case for me, my 2 fresh failed, but am currently 13+2 following a FET.

missymousey Thu 02-Feb-17 21:56:17

Fresh high quality one didn't stick for me, but frozen embryo is now 31 weeks and doing well. Our clinic said they are looking at only doing frozen transfers now because they have more success that way. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now