Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre conception genetic testing/screening

(4 Posts)
SilverLilly Tue 31-Jan-17 21:46:06

Not sure where to post but has anyone had any experience with pre conception genetic screening. I have one family member with some conditions. NHS won't screen me as I don't know what the condition is. I'm planning TTC in June but I'm very worried I'm a carrier of a faulty gene. Has anyone gone private for testing? Any advice?

Oysterbabe Tue 31-Jan-17 21:48:03

I'm not sure they can screen you for something if you don't know what it is.

Woody096 Tue 31-Jan-17 21:54:09

We were in a similar position in not knowing precisely what the genetic condition was or caused by. Told my midwife at 8 weeks & she referred me for genetic counselling. They did some tests including a photo of my chromosomes & confirmed I had no abnormalities. My midwife was super helpful, maybe try and get a second opinion before going down the private route.

SilverLilly Wed 01-Feb-17 21:15:00

My doctor wasn't very helpful and kept saying she wasn't sure about testing and would ask the other doctors. I think I will need to ask again. Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now