Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Group B Strep

(8 Posts)
Embobolina88 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:14:53

I'm 9 weeks and went for swabs to be done last week for some discharge I was concerned about. When my results came back they had picked up I have GBS bacteria in my vagina. Anyone else any experience with this? I'm so upset and freaked out!

Uiscebeatha85 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:11:17

Don't be, honestly it's fine. It comes and goes so you may have it now but it could go (and come back again). Know they know you will probably be offered antibiotics in labour.

I had it with my DD (6 months old, they found it because I had recurring thrush. It was marked on my notes and I had antibiotics during labour. In all honesty, you're lucky they found it - it's not routinely tested for. My waters ended up breaking at 39 weeks and DD had antibiotics for a couple of days as a precaution because of that and the gbs. She was swabbed for it too but she didn't have it.

titihood Fri 03-Feb-17 14:26:33

Please don't worry about it - as Uis says, it can come and go. You can ask to be tested again later on in pregnancy and they can take it from there.

I was tested at 36 weeks and it was positive so was given antibiotics through labour, DC was fine and is now a healthy, bouncy 5 yr old.

Embobolina88 Fri 03-Feb-17 14:54:23

Thank you both. I spoke to the gbs charity and they really helped me
Understand what it was all about and calmed me down. Also went to see midwife yesterday, she's swapped me to consultant lead care and said she'll swab me every week from 35 weeks if i like which was great! Just really unnerving. But at least they're aware now. So many women have no idea that they're positive! Least I'm lucky from that point of view! X

Uiscebeatha85 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:16:06

Glad you're feeling better! My midwife wasn't concerned about it at all. Antibiotics in labour isn't bad either, you'll only have to be hooked up every 4 hours or something. You can still be mobile. I was still midwife led despite having gbs and. needing antibiotics.

user1486556768 Wed 08-Feb-17 12:44:01

Hey smile I'm 12 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and a carrying strep b! Both of my previous labour's I've been treated with antibiotics for strep b! Both babies thankfully have been healthy smile just wondering I'm due a smear after having treatment done 6 months ago but not sure how safe this is with strep? Scared as I've never had to go threw this, afraid the smear might set something off but I do know it's safe to have 1 b4 16 weeks in pregnancy! Any advice or information on this wud be great, thanks!! Xx

Newyearnewbrain Wed 08-Feb-17 13:06:06

Another strep b carrier through two pregnancies here. Babies absolutely fine. Just get your DH or whoever is with you to double check about antibiotics with your midwife team when you're there. You'll be fine.

Unigal101 Fri 19-May-17 16:00:15

Hi I'm doing some research for my uni degree if you could complete they survey that would be helpful www.surveymonkey.com/r/DNWVP8H

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now