Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

'Sick days' in pregnancy

(19 Posts)
Helbelle75 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:01:48

I seem to have had a lot of time off this pregnancy. I've been knocked out with a virus this week - really struggling to breathe (hence sleep). I had to have a day off with a cold a couple of weeks ago, then a few days before Christmas as I collapsed fuel to exhaustion and low blood pressure.
I work with teenagers and seem to pick up everything going.
I hate taking time off, I always think work think I'm taking the p.
Make me feel better! Is anyone else in the same situation?

thethoughtfox Tue 31-Jan-17 17:11:19

Be careful to make sure they know health things are not pregnancy related ( if they are not) Employers can demand you start your mat leave early if you are off sick near the end of your pregnancy.

thethoughtfox Tue 31-Jan-17 17:11:44

flowers

Helbelle75 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:16:48

I am a little concerned about that as i'm 30 weeks now. It's definitely not pregnancy this time though.

Kelsey28 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:17:06

hel have you had a flu jab? I had mine at my 20 week scan and I haven't been catching as much since! I work with six year olds so like you I seem to always be around oppertunities to become sick!

Helbelle75 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:21:37

I have, yes, at about 16 weeks. I'm sure it's helped me not to catch too many bad colds.
It's annoying as I've been teaching for years and my immune system has always been quite robust!

Notyetthere Tue 31-Jan-17 17:26:40

I'm currently on my 2nd day off today with a stinking cold. I'm 18wks pregnant and this is the 2nd time I have taken time due to a cold. I also took the odd off during 1st trimester due to sickness and worked from home just so that I was close to my toilet for sickness. I don't feel guilty at all. Not yet anyway. I commute to London everyday on crowded train so I'm bound to catch all sorts. I have decided that I won't worry myself about taking more time off. I can go for yrs without taking time off sick. I have taken more days off in the last 6 months (had a miscarriage at the beginning) than I have in my whole 15 yrs of work. I find that a couple of days off are better for my productivity at work than trying to push through the discomfort.

Mumtonone Tue 31-Jan-17 17:27:35

Currently off work, unlikely to get back until next week, which will two weeks off. It's the busiest time of the year and I know my team are already struggling.

I'm hearing sympathetic words being said, but detect (not sure if I'm being paranoid) that they are not always sincere.

I would desperately love to back at work, and not feeling as rubbish as I do and don't want to let the team down. But to the same token, know full well I'm not up to it.

I worry this bout of sickness as well as the pregnancy in general is likely to work against me. Altho' it would never be actually acknowledged.

Helbelle75 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:32:04

notyetthere i also had time off for a miscarriage last year so I think that is at the back of my mind also (sorry to hear you've gone through this too).
I think we just have to be really selfish and look after ourselves and our little ones mumtoone but it feels alien as I usually drag myself in whatever.

Notyetthere Tue 31-Jan-17 17:37:27

I believe your employer can have you start maternity leave at 36 weeks. You should be OK with a cold though.

Notyetthere Tue 31-Jan-17 17:41:13

I used to go to the office even when I was a snivelling mess only to end up with half the team snivelling a week later. It is counterproductive. I believe my team are starting to understand that too as we have more working from when they are ill if they can.

Notyetthere Tue 31-Jan-17 17:41:16

I used to go to the office even when I was a snivelling mess only to end up with half the team snivelling a week later. It is counterproductive. I believe my team are starting to understand that too as we have more working from when they are ill if they can.

Laura2507 Wed 01-Feb-17 05:39:22

The only thing I would caution if you say it's not pregnancy related sickness is that it can count towards your company sickness policy and trigger points. If it's pregnancy related then they can't count it as you are protected.

I would argue catching colds is pregnancy related as your immune system is lower so you are more likely to catch common virus' by being pregnant.

paperandpaint Wed 01-Feb-17 08:35:35

I sympathise. I'm a teacher and this is my third lot of sickness since being pregnant. First was 3 days for a flu virus early in pregnancy and I've had two kidney infections which I've also had to take 3 days off for as I've been in so much pain. I had a miscarriage at the end of the summer term and was off for 2 weeks. I feel like such a failure at work just now and while they are being really supportive I feel as if this is being noticed if you know what I mean.

Helbelle75 Wed 01-Feb-17 08:48:55

I know exactly what you mean paperandpaint. There is limited medication we can take as well, meaning that illness lingers.
My school are being great, but I feel so awful not being there, particularly as I've only 6 weeks until mat leave anyway.

FuzzyOwl Wed 01-Feb-17 08:51:04

Your immune system is lower when pregnant, so you are more susceptible. As long as it is pregnancy related, your employer cannot discipline you for time off sick. However, if you have any pregnancy related sickness in the last month, they will start your maternity leave from that date.

savagehk Wed 01-Feb-17 08:54:15

I'm also down with something horrible, started last week Monday and I've been practically bedbound since last Wednesday sad. Just so exhausted!

paperandpaint Wed 01-Feb-17 08:59:04

Thanks Fuzzy Owl. Hopefully the kidney infections are classed as pregnancy related as I've never had them before being pregnant.

I am leaving around 36 weeks anyway as I think I'll be having a slightly earlier section so want a few weeks at home. I work with young primary kids and they are exhausting so finding work tough even at this stage as I'm on my feet nearly all day.

Helbelle - ditto the lack of decent painkillers!! A kidney infection with just paracetamol - arghhh. I was in tears all Monday night because of the pain and just wanted something strong to knock me out rather than 2 paracetamol and a glass of weak squash!

BecauseICanandIwill Wed 01-Feb-17 09:44:05

I work part time and since September have had to take over 30 days off due to pregnancy related illnesses. Hyperemersiss, uti and now pelvic girdle pain. My work have just informed me I am due to go onto 1/2 pay due to all my time off so I have insisted they change my job role so I can go back in on reduced duties and just hobble in and out every day for the next 5 weeks. Until this happened didn't know that legally they have to make reasonable changes to your job duties to try and keep you in work for as long as possible and if they cannot do this they have to suspend you on full pay until your 36th week of pregnancy. They also cannot enforce maternity leave legally until 4 weeks before your duedate - the Sunday before your 36th week I think it is. I was told they could encourage me to take early maternity from 29 weeks but it cannot be forced on you even if you are off for pregnancy related illness for weeks on end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now