Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Back and hip pain, only 14 weeks?!

(10 Posts)
MotherofKitties Tue 31-Jan-17 16:24:12

Hi all,

This might sound ridiculous but I'm 14 weeks with my first pregnancy and my right hip and coccyx are so painful at the moment, it feels like I've pulled the whole area slightly out of joint but I know I haven't!

Have any other mums/mums to be experienced this kind of pain at this stage?! I've head about pregnant ladies having hip and back problems in the later stages but not this early!

Thanks in advance xx

P.S; slight build and no previous hip:back problems of that has any relevance!

fluffandsnuff Tue 31-Jan-17 16:27:36

I'm afraid I know about this- but I do have previous. I would get to the gp and get a referral to the women's health physio team- don't wait as it can take a while to be seen.

Sorry you're suffering too. Baby could be in an awkward position or it could be SPD or whatever they call it now- and that can come on quite early as it's related to hormones.

Good luck x

fluffandsnuff Tue 31-Jan-17 16:31:19

Also, are you starting to get a bump? If you are you may be tilting your pelvis and it kills your lower back. An exercise from the physios I find helps is to stand against a wall with knees slightly bent (don't squat) and feet a shoulder width apart. Back flat against the wall. Instant relief for me!

FrizzBombDelight Tue 31-Jan-17 16:33:39

I got a new mattress around the time I found out I was pregnant, I blamed it for all my new hip, leg and back pain. Spent a fair few quid on yet another fancy new one and then it dawned on me.... confused

MotherofKitties Tue 31-Jan-17 17:07:18

Now you mention it I have just started to get a bump, it hadn't occurred to me that a little bump could cause pain this early on!

Thank you for all you're suggestions, it's nice to know that I'm not imagining it! Seeing my midwife next week so will ask her about referrals etc then xx

Blueroses99 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:31:13

I have scoliosis (curved spine) which means that my bump is very pronounced because of the curve. I had to hold myself in a Pilates 'neutral spine' position which feels very odd but does relieve the pressure. I had terrible back pain from 13/14 weeks and saw a chiropractor who helped me manage it (not NHS). The midwife I spoke to was quite dismissive so I went private and already had a chiropractor that I'd seen before for back shoulder hip issues.

Don't suffer in silence!

oatybiscuits Tue 31-Jan-17 20:28:03

Yes, I had this and managed it with help of a chiropractor. It's unlikely that be the bump so early on, more the hormones which cause everything to loosen up and pick up any existing problems you didn't know you had. If you can see a private chiropractor do, and Pilates helps too. I'm 14 weeks now with dc2 and although it's a bit better than last time it's already bloody painful and so discouraging to know there's still so long to go!

MotherofKitties Tue 31-Jan-17 21:06:36

I'll definitely look into seeing a physio or the like, thank you all for your recommendations smile xx

Sparklyuggs Tue 31-Jan-17 23:10:22

I'm 14w and I injured my pelvis/coccyx a few years ago. I mentioned to the mw that the pain had reoccurred and I've been referred to the obstetric physiotherapy team for it. Worth seeing if you can get a referral if it persists.

firsttimer12345 Wed 01-Feb-17 15:07:57

Just been worrying about this too the last few days. Thought it was because I'd been sat on my arse quite a lot doing my tax return last week. Will definitely be looking at physio!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now