Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is my baby too small

(11 Posts)
maza09 Tue 31-Jan-17 13:32:26

Measuring 30cm at 35 weeks

Gaaaah Tue 31-Jan-17 13:37:50

What does your midwife/doctor/consultant say?

buckyou Tue 31-Jan-17 13:42:45

Have they asked you to go in for a scan? Your bump is small, 'average' is about 1cm for every week of pregnancy, so would be 35cm for you.

Could well just be how you are carrying though and your baby be totally normal size.

minipie Tue 31-Jan-17 13:45:27

I believe they usually scan if you are more than 2cm off expected, which you are.

Have they suggested a growth scan? If not I would push for one. As pp says it may just be the way you're made/carrying or it may be a growth issue, hard to tell just from size.

minipie Tue 31-Jan-17 13:45:48

Also, is this from midwife measurements or you measuring at home?

xStefx Tue 31-Jan-17 13:50:37

My baby was only 29 CM at birth and he weighed 5lb 4oz
They told me he was going to be small , he was full term and perfectly healthy x

HandbagFan Tue 31-Jan-17 14:33:47

The growth scans some are offered are up to 25% out. In my case, DS was expected to be 7lbs 7ozs at 40w and he was two weeks late at 6lbs 15oz. If the scans are up to 25% out, how far out do you think the fundal measurement method is?

Speak to your midwife but if they're not concerned then don't worry.

maza09 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:00:37

I have had a growth scan and they said he is the right size estermated weight is 5lb

Gaaaah Tue 31-Jan-17 18:10:45

If they raised no words of concern at your scan I wouldn't be worried.

Here's a handy list of averages:
www.babycentre.co.uk/a1004000/average-fetal-length-and-weight-chart

It shows a baby of 35 weeks should be around 5lb ish which yours is. Towards the end, babies put on around half a pound a week so don't fret.

raviolidreaming Tue 31-Jan-17 19:43:18

I have had a growth scan and they said he is the right size

Nobody on the Internet will be able to give you a more accurate assessment than this on whether your baby is measuring small, so try and trust what you've been told.

Notanotherpawpatrol Tue 31-Jan-17 20:39:38

The fundal height measurement isn't very accurate. They use it to spot 95% of problems, if you are measuring no or small you will ever sent for a growth scan which will more accurately tell you what's going on. In your case everything is fine smile
I'm currently measuring bang on, 28cm at 28 weeks, however I had a growth scan that showed the baby is measuring on the 85th centile.
Dd2 was measuring 1.5cm small on the fundal height chart. They couldn't decide if they should send me for a growth scan or not, in the end they didn't and it turns out she was 10lb 9oz!
The fundal height only tells you so much, the growth scan is much more accurate smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now