Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stupid question about batch cooking

(12 Posts)
Barefootcontessa84 Tue 31-Jan-17 12:30:10

I'm about to start stocking the freezer before DD arrives. Got plenty of ideas of what to cook, but it just dawned on me - do you cook an entire dish (e.g. a lasagne) as you would if you were about to eat it, and then just let it cool and freeze in portions? Or do you assemble dishes and freeze, but put in the oven the first time once you want to use them?

Thanks!

HellsBellsK Tue 31-Jan-17 12:38:49

I cook the meat etc and make up the lasagne then pop it in the freezer. Take it out defrost and cook it in the oven.
Chilli etc I just cook it all, then put it in freezer zip up bags pop in the freezer. If I forget to take them out that morning I just boil water in a pot and pop the bag in the water takes about 15mins.

anotherBadAvatar Tue 31-Jan-17 12:46:06

Look on eBay or Amazon for the tin foil takeaway type cartons. I think I picked up 50 for £5or so.

Make up a portion in each tin, leave to cool and pop in the freezer. So, I would make up an entire lasagne in one of the tins, and can cook it from frozen just by taking the paper lid off and popping in the oven and maybe grating some cheese on top. I wouldn't cook it "twice" IYSWIM.

Also have done the same for shepherds pie, fish pies, moussaka, chilli, curry, cauliflower cheese.

Barefootcontessa84 Tue 31-Jan-17 12:55:55

Thank you!

kikisdelivery Tue 31-Jan-17 13:20:06

Yeah, I've cooked everything then portioned out, cooled, and will defrost/reheat once we eat it smile I'd wondered the same thing but went with what seemed right to me!

bonnymnemonic Tue 31-Jan-17 13:27:12

It depends on how/when you plan to use them. I batch cooked lots of individual meals to eat for my lunch once DH returned to work.

In the early days, I had to take whatever lunch opportunity I could get so found it far easier having something precooked and defrosted that I could shove in the microwave for a few minutes so that my window of opportunity didn't get swallowed waiting for something to oven cook.

However, if you're planning to use as family meals, it is probably nice to just have an assembled lasagne ready to bake and serve.

Spam88 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:45:00

Depends on what you're cooking really. Something like lasagne (so anything that would get baked) I'd make to the point where it's ready to go in the oven and freeze it - I just think it's nicer to have it cooked 'fresh' rather than reheated where the texture can get a bit funny. Anything that's just cooked in a pan I'd cook fully before freezing.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 31-Jan-17 21:00:56

so when you freeze lasagne do you use precooked lasagne sheets or uncooked?

Foggymist Tue 31-Jan-17 22:34:10

Have you been let home Barefoot contessa?

Barefootcontessa84 Wed 01-Feb-17 02:05:03

Hi Foggy! I'm allowed home (going in every day for checks) until my c-section on Friday. Basically begged for a couple of days to sort myself out and it was given through gritted teeth grin

Foggymist Wed 01-Feb-17 10:15:24

Oh that's brilliant to escape, even briefly! smile

Spam88 Wed 01-Feb-17 14:47:00

greengoblin I use uncooked sheets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now