Talk

Advanced search

What does the baby moving feel like? When did it first happen for you?

(18 Posts)
Flappergirl86 Mon 30-Jan-17 17:48:39

I'm nearly 16 weeks with my first and I have the occasional 'fluttery' feeling but can't decide if it's the baby moving or gas (there has been a tremendous amount of gas since conception pretty much!) When did you get your first definite movement and what did it feel like?

allypally1983 Mon 30-Jan-17 17:51:07

Mine was about 16/17 weeks. It felt like someone had lightly prodded me inside and a sort of vibration almost. Sounds like you've felt your baby to me. Congrats by the way 😊

Jenijena Mon 30-Jan-17 17:53:39

Could be, and probably is! My first was about 19 weeks but vague, but I could feel my first at 11 weeks.

Jenijena Mon 30-Jan-17 17:54:04

I could feel my second at 11 weeks...

katiegg Mon 30-Jan-17 17:54:06

it was after my 20 week scan both times. It felt like a muscle twitch on the inside of my stomach, took me a while to work out what it was!

Itsnottheendoftheworld Mon 30-Jan-17 17:54:36

After 20 weeks

876TaylorMade Mon 30-Jan-17 18:10:58

With my first it was at 13 weeks... I felt a distinctive kick or whatever it was.

I'm currently 31 weeks with #2 ... first feeling was about 16 weeks.

Just to say the bigger baby gets... the feelings love from "ooh wow" to

Ouch... when will this end!

But it's all good fun grin

mrscrocopop Mon 30-Jan-17 18:13:36

About 18/19 weeks I felt a couple of random, single pokes.... then t gradually increased to popcorn popping sensations and then little kicks/shoves over the next couple of weeks.. it felt more like the baby was faffing about than kicking out!

Evergreen777 Mon 30-Jan-17 18:16:44

About 20 weeks. But it was hard to distinguish from tummy rumblings at first. Later on it was sharp kicks and even visible through clothing shock

Evergreen777 Mon 30-Jan-17 18:18:27

Am a bit hmm at the 11-13 weeks alleged in this thread - think some people must be mistaking wind for babies. The baby is TINY at that stage, and well within the sac. I can't see how you'd feel movements.

SaltedCaramelEverything Mon 30-Jan-17 18:42:29

OP I really hope you're not stressing about not feeling kicks. It's completely normal not to hear until 22 weeks plus and everyone is different! I felt at 20 weeks and I was very sure of it as it was a big one. Then I thought about it and I'd probably been feeling them for a week or 2 - but blaming wind and not knowing what it was meant to feel like. So you may well be feeling things, but when you know for sure you know smile also it takes longer usually with a first baby as you don't know what you're looking out for

SaltedCaramelEverything Mon 30-Jan-17 18:43:37

Mrscrocpop I love that you describe them as popcorn popping sensations! Bang on! DH always asked what my earlier ones felt like and I couldn't explain it - but that is it

JolieColombe Mon 30-Jan-17 19:01:58

About 16 weeks both times, felt a bit like a tiny fish or tadpole fluttering briefly around. I'm assuming they were both floating about and I could only feel them if they bounced off the side, but that's guesswork only 😊 Midwife first time clearly didn't believe me, but it felt exactly the same second time round so I just kept shtum and enjoyed it 😁

Flappergirl86 Mon 30-Jan-17 19:05:08

Thanks for all your replies! I can't wait to feel one and be sure that it's not a massive fart battling it's way through my intestines and is in fact a baby wriggling around. From what you've all said I think it might be the first inkling of legit movement though which is exciting!! Xxx

SuckingEggs Mon 30-Jan-17 19:10:35

It's like a ripple on the inside. Fluttery. The foot resting on my rib hurt a bit!!

showmeislands Mon 30-Jan-17 22:01:32

I started to think I felt something, like popcorn popping, or flutters, from about 19/20 weeks, but as it's my first pregnancy I wasn't really sure. At 20 week scan they told me I have anterior placenta so that explained why I wasn't really feeling movement yet.

Then at 22 weeks I was watching TV and felt a definite kick! There was no confusion about that smile

user1468957349 Tue 31-Jan-17 06:45:37

Around 20 weeks for me. Felt like popping candy in my lower abdomen 😆

ClaireSunflower Tue 31-Jan-17 07:43:39

I first felt my baby around 16 weeks and like you I wasn't sure if it was gas at first but gradually it got stronger and couldn't be anything but a baby moving! At first it felt like a little goldfish in a bag gently nudging at the edges. From about 20 weeks onwards I was getting proper little thumps. DH felt him from the outside at 21 weeks too. Hang in there. I'm sure what you are feeling is the baby but it will start to get more obvious soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now