Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy after LLETZ

(17 Posts)
Lauren112233 Mon 30-Jan-17 08:33:45

Hello.
I'm pregnant with my first baby. And 18 months ago I had LLETZ treatment for abnormal cells after a smear. They removed two biopsys and it was CIN111.
I've been put under consultant care and am having an internal scan at 14 weeks to measure my cervix.
At my 12 week ultrasound I asked the sonographer to check my cervix then she didn't measure it but said it looked fine.
I'm obviously really worried something bad will happen!
Has anyone carries okay after LLETZ?
Thanks xx

AreWeThereYet000 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:27:38

Hey I had the same procedure in January 2016, and I am due three weeks today - so a pregnancy to full term is possible smile
I had my cervix checked regularly with consultants and they measured it internally every few weeks until I was discharged from consultant care at 34 weeks. If the cervix is short or funnelling they will give you a stitch - mine is long but thinner than normal so no stitch just check ups. Xx

PowerofThree Mon 30-Jan-17 09:32:33

Hi Lauren. I had one biopsy and a LLETZ treatment a couple of years ago. In my area that meant I got referred to a consultant and for an internal scan but not until 21 weeks. It was a bit nerve wracking waiting especially as the Internet is full of stories of people getting stitches at 14 weeks. In the end it was all fine - cervix measured perfectly normally and I was discharged from consultant care. Obviously LLETZ can be a risk but I get the impression the risk is higher if you've had it done multiple times or if you've had a cone biopsy.

There is a short cervix club in the ante natal clubs section where there are stories of people who have had to have treatment and the subsequent outcomes.

user1485768400 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:34:56

I had 2 Lletz treatments previously, both for CIN III cells, and also worried about the effect that might have on pregnancy (had read stories of stitches, prem labour, bed rest, etc) . I am now 38 weeks pregnant and baby seems very comfy & staying put for now!
I have been consultant led with a first appointment to discuss warning signs and cervix checked at 20 weeks and 26 weeks (through ultrasound scans). I had the same consultant for my Lletz treatments as these appointments and think that has helped.

Lauren112233 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:50:54

Aw thank you so much. Feel better listening to positive stories!
Just praying I have a long cervix😂
Thanks again ladies!

annlee3817 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:51:24

I had Lletz 9 months before falling pregnant, I had CIN 2 . I was referred to a consultant and had internal scans from 21 weeks. My cervix did shorten and I was given progesterone pessaries to use up until 37 weeks and was signed off at 32 weeks as baby was engaged and cervix was soft, DD hung on in there until 40+5.

Lauren112233 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:53:42

Aw thank you! So scary the thought of not been able to hold your baby in! I know the consultants are only be cautious but still nerve wracking isn't it! Thanks again!x

megletthesecond Mon 30-Jan-17 09:53:50

Yes, sort of. Baby was fine he just wouldn't come out at the end because my cervix was too scarred up. Had an EMCS with first dc and planned cs with second.

Lauren112233 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:55:10

They did mention it can go that way also! But at least that way you know they are safe in there😬 Glad everything was okay for you all! X

finova Mon 30-Jan-17 09:58:38

I had a Lletz for CIN3 in 2009. I was pregnant the next month (I checked during procedure whether okay to conceive so quickly and they said fine).
In my area they didn't offer any extra follow up/scans if you've only had the Lletz treatment one time.
I carried that pregnancy and one in 2012 with no problems.
Now in 3rd trimester with number 3.

Lauren112233 Thu 02-Feb-17 07:51:02

Thank you for your replys

divadee Thu 02-Feb-17 12:38:14

I have had multiple lletz treatments. I have just given birth at 39+4 (last friday). I had internal scans every 3 weeks and everything was good.

I did have a cervical tear in labour (amongst other things not related to the lletz treatment) that they think was caused by scar tissue from multiple treatments. This was stitched up. A tear is very rare though according to my midwife. She has been a midwife since 1991 and had never seen one.

Keep up with the scans and try and relax.

user1485706893 Thu 02-Feb-17 12:44:01

I had a lletz 18 months ago, I'm pregnant now and apart from some random left ovary pain and hyperemesis,everything is going well. Some one medical expressed concern that I'd have to have a cesarean but I've only heard of this from him and no one since. Good luck and best wishes in your pregnancy

LilithTheKitty Thu 02-Feb-17 12:48:19

Is it tge same as the LEEP procedure? If so, I became pregnant a year after the procedure and carried to term with no issues. I was never offered any additional scans or consultant care as a result of it.

Happygojo86 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:21:09

I had cin3 cells removed 8 years ago. In my first pregnancy I had my cervix measured at 20 and 24 weeks - all fine. I was then transferred to midwife led care. Had my DD at 39+5 and a 12 hour labour, no complications. I am currently 34+3 and haven't had my cervix measured this time as they are happy because my first pregnancy was fine to almost due date.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 02-Feb-17 14:51:13

Had 2 and cone biopsy 20ish years ago

On my notes and told mw. Due to that as well as ivf geratric and dvt I was consultant led and checked cervix regularly from 12/24w. Was a bit short but not in their low catorgry which think is under 22mm

Think lowest was 25 at beginning

Signed off at 24w and no stitch needed

Currently 32w and slight poss I will have to have a cs if cervix doesn't dilate enough

Lauren112233 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:05:44

Thank you so much for all your comments.
Makes me feel much better.
Think it is the same as LEEP procedure not too sure?
My internal scan is next week.
No other problems so far! Other than a lot of discharge some more watery than normal. (Sorry if TMI!😬)
Thanks xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now