Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

swollen feet after birth

(20 Posts)
thecatsarecrazy Sun 29-Jan-17 19:34:04

I've just come home from hospital after being induced on Thursday. Since last night I had some stockings on but before that I was just wearing socks. My feet are really swollen. Has anyone else had this? They were last night too but nothing was really said.

Raiseyourglass26 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:34:57

Yeah I had this. It lasted about 5 days from what I remember and I was totally thrown about it as I didn't know it could happen after birth

EnglebertSlaptyback Sun 29-Jan-17 19:35:39

I had emcs and was swollen for a week. My knees didn't exist let alone ankles.
I'd had no swelling during pregnancy so was surprised at this!

PotteringAlong Sun 29-Jan-17 19:38:52

Yes! When I was induced. It all went away eventually

oatybiscuits Sun 29-Jan-17 19:40:09

Yes I hadn't even noticed until the midwife asked and I looked down they were like boats!! Didn't matter to me too much as there was no way I was leaving the house for well over a week anyway (not that I'd have been able to get my shoes on)

Kintan Sun 29-Jan-17 19:43:48

Yes I did after an emcs - I didn't notice until I tried to put my boots on to go home!? They went back
to normal within a week smile

Lissette Sun 29-Jan-17 19:46:54

Yes I had this too. Luckily I had brought comfy old slippers to the hospital because there was no way I could have worn shoes. My feet looked like my 80 year old Granny's.

PastysPrincess Sun 29-Jan-17 19:49:06

Yes I had awfully swollen feet. I had to get my husband to buy some flip flops two sizes too big as I couldn't even get my feet in my slippers. Get your DP to massage them with smooth stroking movement going upward from your toes up to your knees and be quite forceful. The midwife did my first one and it was uncomfortable but made a massive difference.

thecatsarecrazy Sun 29-Jan-17 19:54:47

Oh ty so much for replies. I've never had this before and was a little worried but feel happier now flowers

abbsisspartacus Sun 29-Jan-17 19:57:33

Yes they had me in those awful compression sock things

Sunshinegirl82 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:57:46

I had this too and was subsequently read otter to hospital with super high blood pressure! As soon as they got my bp under control it all went down. Some swelling is normal but perhaps just get your midwife to double check your bp when they visit.

Melmam Sun 29-Jan-17 20:05:43

Yes!! I had this after I was induced and was quite surprise as I didnt have any swelling during pregnancy at all it all went back to normal within the week

sycamore54321 Mon 30-Jan-17 06:27:21

Get it checked. As above can be normal but could also be late onset pre-eclampsia or other worrying things.

lullaby23 Mon 30-Jan-17 07:06:03

Yes I had Miss Piggy cankles for about 2 weeks after my CS. I believe it was due to the drip/fluids, but don't know if you would have that for a straightforward induction. Flip flops were my only option to begin with grin

ktkaye Mon 30-Jan-17 07:13:59

Mine were so swollen they actually hurt where the skin was stretched! I didn't get any swelling during pregnancy so it surprised me, I had to shuffle about in flip flops for around 5 days. Elevating your legs will help and expect horrendous night sweats as your body sheds the extra fluid. It doesn't last long. As mentioned above - it can also indicate pre eclampsia (post birth) . It was for me and only got picked up because I had a random blood pressure check which was was sky high after several days of normality. I didn't even know it was possible to get pre eclampsia after labour! Easily sorted with some medication but worth being aware of - ask your midwife when she visits. And congratulations on your new baby!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 30-Jan-17 07:23:42

Yes, for a few days after dc4 was born, I needed the drip with him. It really worried me as it had never happened before. I asked the mw when she came round as I knew I was higher risk for pre e. She said it's more common after c sections & inductions as well as the more babies you have.

Mumteedum Mon 30-Jan-17 07:30:34

Get feet up. Sleep with big pile of pillows under them to elevate legs. This will help them. Put feet up whenever you can.

thecatsarecrazy Mon 30-Jan-17 09:45:07

Ty I will ask midwife later hopes she comes today

JournosAreLazy Mon 30-Jan-17 09:48:56

Yes, for about a week. Was worried that I'd never be able to fit into any of my shoes again as they were huge. They went back to normal thankfully!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 30-Jan-17 13:02:51

If she hasn't been already call your community midwives office or the postnatal ward you were on, they'll be able to pass on the message you'd like to see her before she's next due.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now