Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Round Ligament Pain & PGP

(9 Posts)
abeandhalo Sun 29-Jan-17 18:52:24

I've been getting round ligament pains for a few weeks now, they are extreme when they come but only last a minute or two & I've been having a maximum of 1 a day so it's been manageable.

However, last week I started suffering with some more general PGP symptoms & today I've had 3 fairly awful round ligament episodes. I'm starting to worry now I'm not going to manage my last 6 weeks at work. I went to my GP on Fri but she didn't really know much, just read me the same advice from the NHS website I'd already Googled.

Has anyone who has suffered from PGP / round ligament pain found it eased by following the NHS advice, e.g. Pillow between knees, swimming, etc?

If you got a physio referral, was that from the GP or did you speak to your midwife?

Did anyone have to finish work earlier than they planned due to PGP?

Finally, did it affect your birth plan / preferences? Even though everything suggests water birth would be a good option, NHS already don't want me to have that due to my BMI & I have a feeling this will be seen as an added complication & make them even less likely to allow it.

Any advice appreciated!

Imaginarymenagerie Sun 29-Jan-17 18:59:41

Check your maternity notes. In my area you are allowed to self refer to obstetric physio, which I have done. It was just a phone line that went straight to an answerphone - called on Friday and hoping for a call back next week. I know the referral process varies from area to area, but see if there is a number for obstetric physio on your notes they should be able to tell you who to talk to for a referral if they can't take self referrals. Good luck.

Imaginarymenagerie Sun 29-Jan-17 19:02:02

Meant to say - pillow between knees overnight is helping me a bit in terms of getting comfortable enough to fall asleep, but doesn't make any difference to ongoing pain.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Sun 29-Jan-17 19:05:35

Pillow between my knees at night was a life saver for me, and my midwife referred me for physio where I was given a bump support band which made a huge difference to my pgp and round ligament pain.
I also had to go on crutches but worked to 36+4 and had my daughter at 37 weeks, I found going to work and being normal helped me not go insane towards the end.
Can't comment on it changing my birth plan as I had to have a planned section (nothing to do with my pgp) but I would think it shouldn't affect you too badly, although the advice does say to let the midwife know incase you have to be put in stirrups for any reason.
If its any consolation by the time my epidural wore off after birth my pgp was gone. Its awful but it doesn't last forever. flowers

abeandhalo Sun 29-Jan-17 19:31:25

Thank you that's really helpful. I've got an appointment with my midwife on the 8th hopefully I'll plod along until then & implement some of the advice to improve things.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Mon 30-Jan-17 09:28:36

No problem 😊 just came back to add, sometimes a hot water bottle on my bad hip when I was in bed at night made a difference. Remember paracetamol is safe during pregnancy aswell, my midwife always said that there was no point being a martyr, if you need some take it.
flowers congratulations on your coming bundle btw! grin

McBaby Mon 30-Jan-17 09:36:53

I stopped working at 26 weeks when pregnant with dd1 the pgp was so bad I couldn't sit for longer than about 30 mins let alone a whole day in the office!

I am currently 26 weeks with dc3 and it's awful I have had to get a rota for the school run as I can't walk dd1 to school! I can barely leave the house.

I didn't find the hospital Physio helpful but I know some people do. Acupuncture helped in first pregnancy and osteopathy in second one. But they are not helping this time I saw a chiropractor last week which helped a bit so fingers crossed after a a few treatments it's a bit better.

You just need to find what works for you!!

McBaby Mon 30-Jan-17 09:37:11

Pelvic partnership website lots of information.

Bauble16 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:37:18

Pillow is a must for me. I suffer both badly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now