Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tips for cold relief in pregnancy

(8 Posts)
sprite25 Sun 29-Jan-17 15:31:50

Hi all, am currently 6 weeks pregnant and full of a stinking cold. I never knew a cold could make you feel so bad! I've been taking paracetamol but it's not touching it, does anyone have any tips to help relieve the general crappyness of it all?

Littlejayx Sun 29-Jan-17 15:52:33

I had a killer cold at 10 weeks and all the advice my dad (he's a doctor) is vitamin C all day. So orange everything! I ate like 5 oranges and drank orange juice like water. It worked! halo

arbrighton Sun 29-Jan-17 15:55:19

Steam to try and relieve congestion.

Take time out to relax/ rest.

Sorry, not much else you can do :*(

sprite25 Sun 29-Jan-17 15:59:24

Thank you, am currently guzzling orange juice as we speak. Just seems so much worse just from not being able to take the usual lemsip type stuff, don't usually make such a fuss from a cold!

girlelephant Sun 29-Jan-17 16:12:11

I agree with steam as much as possible. When I had a dreadful cold in pregnancy I was told I wasn't allowed to use Vicks or Olbas Oil by a pharmacist. I think though you can use the Calpol plugin as that's suitable for babies? Check with a pharmacist and I recommend buying it if you can

Furcat85 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:24:42

I feel your pain as I've had 2 colds in the last month sad ask pharmacy for happinose - it's a decongestant for babies that goes around your nose so it's soothing too. I chewed airwaves gum and had the jakemans mentholated sweets to ease congestion. Other than that it's just fluids, paracetamol and vitamin c as others have said. Get well soon xxx

user1468957349 Mon 30-Jan-17 07:36:43

I've used prevalin nasal spray which is safe in pregnancy. Helps to ease a bit of the congestion at least! X

sprite25 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:47:26

Thank you, I tried the steam last night which seemed to help relieve some of the pressure, have literally just been sent home from work as I'm not fit for purpose Ha Ha. So have made my booking appointment with midwife for today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now