Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

consultant led on baby number 2? any advice

(12 Posts)
Daviwassewy Sun 29-Jan-17 14:36:00

HELLO Ive just found out I am pregnant with 2nd child. about 4 weeks.

our first was born 14 weeks early due to me going in to labour due to having a blood infection.

I am going to be seeing my doctor to get a midwife sorted but when I had my 1st they told me that I will be consultant led next time. so do I tell my doctor this when I go to see him?

and does anyone know what being consultant led is really like?

confused
smile

thanks in advance

SquedgieBeckenheim Sun 29-Jan-17 14:38:14

I'm on pregnancy number 2 and consultant led due to pre-eclampsia last time. I gave midwife my history and she referred to consultant. I've not had many midwife appointments, mostly just see the consultant.

TwoDogs9 Sun 29-Jan-17 15:48:13

I was consultant led due to a history of miscarriage and a blood clotting disorder that I have. It basically just means that you will see the consultant regularly in addition to all the usual midwife appointments. In my case I also had regular growth scans but I'm not sure if that will be the same for you. It's nothing to worry about anyway, just means they'll keep a close eye on you and baby. smile

MouseLove Sun 29-Jan-17 15:52:36

I've been told I'm consultant lead too. Midwife said this means I'll see the consultant more often and have more regular growth scans. I only see this as a positive. However, if my pregnancy is healthy and normal I might be released into midwife lead care. Congratulations on your pregnancy. X

arbrighton Sun 29-Jan-17 15:54:31

It'll be the midwife who makes the referral, not your GP.

newmumwithquestions Sun 29-Jan-17 16:05:35

Turned 40 between no 1 and no 2 so was consultant led for no 2 even though I'd had no significant problems for no 1.

I had all the regular midwife appointments then some extra consultant ones.

For me the difference was I had pressure from the consultant to be induced at 38 weeks which I refused. I did discuss this with my consultant and I was showing no signs of any problems - it's not that I'm anti-intervention but given everything was looking fine I wanted time for DD to arrive her own way. I was just 40 so found it a bit arbitrary as I was otherwise healthy.
I did agree to sweeps from 39 weeks and induction at 41 weeks.
Once I stood my ground with the consultant she organised additional monitoring from 39 weeks onwards which I was grateful for.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Sun 29-Jan-17 16:12:25

I was consultant led for dd2 after dd1 had a lot of problems at and just after birth, couldn't have had it better personally. Lovely consultant saw me regularly instead of just a midwife, also had more regular scans. Was lovely when there was an issue at the end that I knew the person I was talking to, had built up a relationship and trust with her and was completely calm when she told me I needed a section. As is dd was born perfectly healthy and my section went without incidence and I do believe a large part of this was knowing I had a doctor who I saw regularly and could talk to instead of a different midwife everytime I went. Was also nice to not have to go back over my history everytime as she knew what had happened.

Congratulations on your good news flowers

INeedNewShoes Sun 29-Jan-17 16:16:53

I'm consultant led. The most noticeable differences it makes seem to be:

- more appointments to attend (as I see my consultant in addition to the usual midwife/scans appointments)

- home birth and birthing centre are ruled out (I will have to deliver on the labour ward)

That's it really. It has been of benefit to me to be consultant led as I have appreciated the more frequent reassurance of me and the baby being monitored.

Orrery Sun 29-Jan-17 20:22:01

I was marked as consultant led at my booking in as I had shoulder dystocia with first labour. Have had 2 extra consultant appointments in addition to all regular midwife appointments and extra growth scan at 34 weeks. Just been signed back over to usual midwife care with an advisory note for delivery in the hospital and 'extra hands' ready during labour....which I bloody well hope will be sometime in the next 4 weeks cos I'm just about done with it!

Bluntness100 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:34:07

I was consultant led with my only child, so I don't know the difference between consultant led and doctor led. I'm not really sure why he chose to do it, but I'd missed three periods and they wer going to put me on fertility drugs to kick start them, and they obviously tested for pregnancy and it was negative. He had examined me as part of the investigation into why I was no longer menstruating.

The day I went to get the meds I just felt I was pregnant and took a test and I was. I think the issue was they were unsure about how to date me and there is a risk when a woman goes over by too much. At that point of finding out i was pregnant he took the immediate decision to lead and informed my doctor.

I had regular hospital appointments with him and my doctor wasn't really involved in my pregnancy at all. I was weighed at each visit by his midwife with him in the room, which was monthly at the start, then escalated in frequency and they felt my bump, listed to heart beat, checked bloods etc and also did an internal to check if there was enough space for me to deliver. Again, I don't know any different, but assumed it was to make sure I was not a lot more pregnant than they thought.

Trulyamnearanear Sun 29-Jan-17 20:57:51

Just a note, I'm consultant led but have only ever seen members of her team - different one each time.
It doesn't bother me in the slightest as they're all trained doctors, but I just wanted to manage expectations for others out there.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 29-Jan-17 21:06:55

I'm consultant led as red flagged as high risk due to first baby over 40, ivf, dvt

Basically means you get seen and scanned more

I get scanned every 3w think from 22w. After scan I chat to consultant
Means extra care afaic

Does mean you can't have a water birth or home birth but I wanted neither

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now