Talk

Advanced search

Constipation

(17 Posts)
RainbowsAndLemonDrops Sun 29-Jan-17 12:02:22

Horribly constipated for the past three days, I know this is common but it's so uncomfortable. I've started eating more fibre yesterday morning but it's not really working yet.

Anyone have any tips or anything that helped them? sad

Blossomdeary Sun 29-Jan-17 12:07:53

Glycerin suppositories are the choice.

I get mine from amazon and they come from the US in jars of 100! They are called FLEET and are smaller and harder than the UK wobbly ones so go up easier. The UK ones are wobbly and hard to aim with!

Aroseforemily Sun 29-Jan-17 12:08:46

Prune juice, it's vile but does the job. Raise your feet on a footstool when you are the toilet, I can't remember the reasons but seems to work.

TheFlyingFauxPas Sun 29-Jan-17 12:09:37

Bless you. It will pass wink I remember trying everything prunes etc. Given the time again I think I'd just go nuclear and get some kind of pg friendly laxative. One thing I have discovered is if you don't go one day it's even harder ( lots of unintended double entrendre here confused ) the next day. I found however sheer exhaustion coincided with my constipation and I was just tooo tired to try.

mum2be88 Sun 29-Jan-17 12:16:48

Fybogel sachets really help - hate the taste but they do the job!

McBaby Sun 29-Jan-17 13:07:12

Linseeds and dates both easy to eat but help you go normally.

zaalitje Sun 29-Jan-17 15:32:07

Fybogel should only be taken under instruction from a doctor.

I've had constipation too and asked the pharmacist who have me a very definite "only if the Dr agrees". A week later in still waiting to see Dr!

LemonyFresh Sun 29-Jan-17 15:38:41

High fibre foods and crunchy fruits .

Prunes and prune juice
Figs / fig rolls
Porridge
Wholemeal bread and pasta
Apples
grapes

TwoDogs9 Sun 29-Jan-17 15:42:58

The only thing that cured my constipation whilst pregnant was stopping the awful Pregnacare vitamins I was taking and using another brand instead! I swapped to Centrum ones and the constipation I'd suffered with for weeks cleared up in a couple of days and never came back!

rachelb2014 Sun 29-Jan-17 16:39:18

I agree with TheFlyingFauxPas that if you don't go one day then it is much worse the next. I hate going at work and tend to hold on, and then can't go when I get home!

zambean Sun 29-Jan-17 17:32:42

I'm 31 weeks now, have been suffering on and off since the beginning. Things that help:

coffee
prunes - I buy the ones in juice, rather than the dry ones, as I find them easier to stomach, though they may be less effective, not sure
prune juice
orange juice
lots and lots of water
porridge made with extra oatbran, and a spoonful of flax seeds and chia seeds
fig rolls

I also got the doctor to prescribe me some lactulose, this takes a day or two to work but then does help soften your poo

vfoster Sun 29-Jan-17 17:58:10

I haven't found anything that works except the stool (no pun intended) idea! Raising your knees above your hips to put you in a squatting position makes it easier when you finally can go! Think they're called squatty potty or something like that! 😂

DirtyDancing Sun 29-Jan-17 18:29:48

Prunes have worked a treat for me! Really thought I was going to have to stick some dynamite up my bum! grin

I have bran flakes, with prune in juice over the top every day. I got the big fridge pack of prunes and pour a little of the juice over the top. Then at night an Activia yoghurt with prunes. If I skip a day I get constipated, so having it daily now to keep regular

Smurfy23 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:49:52

Prune juice, weetabix, wholemeal bread and a constant supply of fruit during the day (seriously..banana, clementines, apples, plums- 2 minimum of each).

Marley45 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:37:11

Cosmocol sachets from your doctor are great. And plenty of water.

MamaErmintrude Mon 30-Jan-17 06:36:02

Wheat bran (from somewhere like Holland and Barrett). Lifesaver! With lots of water.

RainbowsAndLemonDrops Mon 30-Jan-17 08:14:03

Loving the puns on these threads guys, thank you! grin

Every time I put a prune in my mouth I heave, I think it's the texture sad

Thank you for your remedies! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now